A whistle is an instrument (device or tool) designed to make a sound when breath is passed through it. On the other hand, a dog training whistle emits sounds that humans are unable to hear. These sounds can be heard and understood by dogs and some other domestic animals. It is often called Galton’s whistle because it was the brainchild of Sir Francis Galton, a British behavioral scientist, in 1876.
These tools might look ordinary; they are, however, very effective in training animals. If you own this coaching instrument, you can train your pet to be more obedient and also teach him to stop barking unnecessarily. When a dog whistle is blown, humans simply hear it as a low hissing sound. As a result, it can be used as needed without irritating humans.
Do you have any plans to buy a whistle? If yes, then, you have a lot to consider. The reasoning behind this is that there are lots of these products on the market. Just to help you make an informed decision, we embarked on an extensive market survey for you. In the end, we were able to round up the most effective products on the market. Put simply, this piece contains all you need to know about the best dog whistles for coaching your pets. Now, let’s find out what they are.
How Did We Pick the Best Dog Whistle?
We constantly strive to put the interests of our readers above everything else. To make sure we do just that, we use informative and well-crafted articles to simplify the confusing maze you must navigate when choosing products to meet your needs. In a concerted effort to help you get the best from the market, we create product reviews by holistically studying the market and analyzing real customers’ feedback. In the end, you can be sure of a sincere and useful verdict from our team.
If you find our articles useful — please feel free to share them with your family, friends, and colleagues. Follow us on our social media platforms to read the latest online product reviews as they drop.
Why It is Better?
- Why You Need a Dog Whistle
- How to Pick the Right Dog Whistle
- Top 5 Best Dog Whistles
- 1. Acme 210 Orange
- 2. Acme Silent Dog Whistle
- 3. Mighty Paw Training Whistle
- 4. forepets Dog Training Whistle
- 5. SmartPet Dog Whistle
- Types of Dog Whistles
- Benefits of Using a Dog Whistle
- Tips for Using a Dog Whistle
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why You Need a Dog Whistle
To the average person, these training devices just make a sound that humans are unable to hear. Although this makes perfect sense, there is a lot more. Well, the device simply becomes useful to a dog owner when she associates the sounds from it with certain instructions. If you have a dog, then, you certainly need one of these devices for him. Discussed below are some reasons you should purchase one of these training devices.
Unaffected by the weather: It will be very difficult and sometimes impossible to grab your dog’s attention when the wind is blowing furiously or when it is raining. The same, however, cannot be said of these training tools. You see, these tools can be used even when the weather is not ideal for getting your dog’s attention. Why is this so?
The reason for this is quite simple. When you blow the dog whistle, it can be heard over long distances. So, when you use it, regardless of where your dog is, he will come running to you very rapidly. This is one reason hunters use dog whistles when going hunting with their pets.
Modify behavior humanely: There are lots of ways to correct your dog’s unruly behavior. Some of these methods are humane while others are inhumane. It is up to you to know what method you should use to correct such misbehaviors.
If you are looking to make use of a humane method in correcting his misbehaviors, you can always depend on these devices. With a dog whistle, you can always get your dog to give you attention without the need to threaten it.
Save your voice: If you spend a long time giving your pet various commands at the top of your voice, you might be unable to communicate with humans effectively after doing this. The reason for this is that you will most likely lose your voice.
If you are looking to spend sufficient time training him and still preserve your voice, you should depend on these devices instead of always yelling at the top of your voice.
Ensures consistency in following commands: Dogs listen to commands issued by their owners because they recognize their voices. While people will most likely have the same voice all throughout their lives, there are times when the quality of your voice could change. This usually occurs when the voice is stressed or when one has a cold. Now, if you train him to follow your commands when your voice is clear, there is a chance that he might not listen to you when your voice is cracked or sounds different.
If you must be certain that he listens to whatever command you give regardless of how your voice sounds, you can always depend on a dog whistle. They are not like the human voice. They do not crack or get affected by cold. This means your pet will consistently follow whatever commands you give it.
How to Pick the Right Dog Whistle
When shopping for the best whistle for dog, you are bound to come across quite a number of them. Due to the availability of alternatives, picking the right one is not the easiest thing to do. Are you looking to buy one for the first time? If yes, you can do so without making any mistakes. Below are tips to help you make the right choice the first time.
- Evaluate durability: All things being equal, these tools are expected to last a long time. This, however, is not always the case as some people are careful while others are not as careful. If you fall into the group of people that are careful, you might not have any issues with making use of it for as long as you want. However, if you are not a very careful person, there are chances that it will fall to the ground a couple of times and might not last as long as you want. Due to this, if you want the device to last a long time, you might want to choose one that has a reputation for being durable.
- Consider range: The range is one factor you must give a lot of consideration before going ahead and buying one. Your dog should be able to hear the whistle regardless of his distance from you. Going by this, you most likely will be making a better choice when you select a model that has a range of 100 feet compared to one that has a range of 50 feet. The implication of this is that you will not have to worry about your pet going missing even if it is up to 100 feet away from your location.
- Adjustability: When you buy yourself an adjustable dog whistle, you will not need to put in as much effort when training your dog. Adjustable ones make it easier to achieve a lot while training him. When you have an adjustable one, you can always adjust the sound it produces to achieve a different effect.
- Ease of cleaning: The best dog whistle should be easy to clean. Because these devices are used in the mouth, there is a likelihood of exposing yourself to germs when you make use of them. To stay protected from germs while using this training tool, you will need to clean it regularly. Beyond cleaning yours regularly to keep yourself protected from germs, you should get one that can be cleaned very easily.
- Design: The design should be considered before buying one. In addition to this, you should also consider the material that is used to make it before going ahead to place that order. There are two basic materials used in making them. These materials are plastic and stainless steel. If you are looking to get one that will stand the test of time, you should buy one that is made from stainless steel. While products made from stainless steel are durable, they sometimes have an unpleasant taste. Plastic types, on the other hand, are not as durable as those made of stainless steel. The former, however, are lighter and have a more comfortable feel. You, therefore, will be able to get the most value for your money when you buy one that has a design and that is made from a material that you are most comfortable with.
- Purpose and type: What is your purpose for buying this device? Of course, that should matter to you. If you consider the question, you are most likely to find the right dog whistle. Make no mistake, before placing that order, you must have done your homework in this regard. There are various types that are suitable for different occasions. In clear terms, when you know the purpose for which you need this training tool, you will be able to make an informed decision.
- Brands: When buying a canine whistle, always consider the brand before going ahead and buying one. This is because certain brands already have a reputation for producing products of high quality. So, if you must get a good value, you should consider buying models from brands such as Acme, SmartPet, Mighty Paw, Forepets, etc.
Top 5 Best Dog Whistles
1. Acme 210 Orange Review
Ease of Use
We Don’t Like
Manufactured in the UK, this coaching device will cause no irritation to your ears. Nonetheless, it has a high pitch that pets can hear very easily, ensuring that you are in control of their behavior and activities. It is perfect for distance, as well as close control. There are no limits on where this instrument can be used. It can be used in the countryside as well as in densely populated cities.
When you make use of it, your dog will not have to struggle to get the clear message. The reason for this is that it features waterproof pearl, making it unique in its own way. You will find out that using this device is pretty easy because you do not need to be an expert to use it well.
2. Acme Silent Dog Whistle Review
Ease of Use
We Don’t Like
This dog training whistle is manufactured in the United Kingdom and is a great device that every trainer should own. It comes with an adjustable frequency feature, making it perfect for taming and coaching dogs of different breeds. Although it can be heard by humans as well, it is close to being inaudible.
It was designed to cover a distance of up to 400 yards. Impressively, if your pet is within 400 yards, you are certain this coaching tool will be able to draw its attention towards you. Although it covers a long distance, the strength as well as the direction of the wind can play a major role in the distance it covers. It comes with instructions, which make it possible to set the right pitch for your dog with the use of a pitch register.
3. Mighty Paw Training Whistle Review
Ease of Use
We Don’t Like
If you are looking for the best budget dog whistle for your pet, your search ends here. Additionally, you will also like that it can be used by virtually anyone. The good thing is that its advantages do not end here. You do not have to be an expert at using whistles to use this model. Once you have this device at your disposal, you will have no need to spend long hours trying to teach your pet some new tricks.
With this coaching device, you can make your pet understand that a long blast indicates “come,” while a short blast indicates “sit.” If you are curious about where it came from, you should know that it was designed and made in Rochester, NY in the United States. Beyond being great for teaching your pet some new tricks, this training instrument can be used to teach him to behave well.
4. forepets Dog Training Whistle Review
Ease of Use
We Don’t Like
This product is arguably the best dog whistle on the market because of the benefits it offers. It was designed to make training sessions very easy. Although it was designed to make training simple, you will need a bit of patience for it to be effective. After regular practice and patience, your pet will soon get used to the message whenever you blow this whistle. In addition to this, he will begin to obey all your commands without hesitation.
This is not just a great tool for training as it offers more. Here is the thing; it can be used for pets that hear different frequencies. It has a feature that makes it easy to adjust its frequency, so it is ideal for whatever animal you are looking to train. A lot of people resort to harsh or expensive techniques when looking to treat a pet’s misbehavior. With this tool, there will be no need to resort to other methods.
5. SmartPet Dog Whistle Review
Ease of Use
We Don’t Like
Are you looking to teach your dog new tricks and also to make it more obedient with the best dog whistle? This device always comes in handy. It is designed and produced in the United States. Also, it can be adjusted to create various pitch ranges that are suitable for different dogs to detect. Another thing you will find fascinating is that it is very effective. Nonetheless, to get the best from it, you will have to exercise a lot of patience.
Beyond being an effective tool in training your pet, this device will last a long time. Furthermore, if it wears out over time, you can always get your money back because it features a lifetime warranty. It comes with a lanyard strap, making it easy to carry around. Because of this, you will not lose it. Also, you can always have it with you.
Types of Dog Whistles
If you must get the best whistle for dog, you have to know what the various types out there are. With that being said, discussed below are some of the many types you should know about.
- Pea whistle
This is one of the most popular types available. It contains a small ball that is about the size of a pea. This is perhaps where it gets its name. If you shake it very slightly, you will be able to hear the pea move from side to side. Furthermore, if you look carefully through the air hole on its top, you will be able to see it.
It typically provides a trilling effect. Due to the presence of the small ball, you can make different sounds with the same whistle. To do this, you simply need to blow in it with a different intensity. Its sound is quite different from others as it has a low pitch and is soft. Furthermore, a short blow will produce a different sound than a long blow. It is very effective in issuing commands as it can be used to make different pitches.
Also, it is very useful. It, however, has a major downside. There is a major likelihood of it freezing due to the presence of saliva in cold weather. When this occurs, it becomes unusable for a while.
The presence of a pea in it has a negative effect on the volume of sound made by it. While this might not mean much in standard training, it could be a significant issue if you go hunting with your dog. This is because he needs to hear the pitch of your whistle from a very far distance.
- Pealess whistle
This is assumed to be the direct opposite of the pea whistle. It is perhaps the most recommended one for people that are not interested in producing various sounds. The only difference is the absence of a pea.
The absence of a pea in this type might be considered a disadvantage since it cannot make various sounds. It, however, is not completely a disadvantage because it is louder than a pea whistle. This whistle is louder than the previous type because nothing stands in the way of the flow of air. Also, pealess whistles are not just slightly louder than the other type; they are a lot louder. Your pet will be able to hear the whistle’s sound even when he is two miles away.
The ability of pealess whistles to produce very loud sounds is considered their greatest strength. This, however, is not actually their greatest strength. The pealess whistle’s greatest strength is its ability to produce the same sound regardless of what intensity you use in blowing in it. This is a great feature because regardless of your energy level or state of mind, the animal will be able to hear the exact same sound each time you blow it.
Additionally, it comes in different designs. This is possible because they do not need to be designed to accommodate a pea. Consequently, you can get this type in whatever shape is most comfortable for you. Some of them look just like the pea whistle. Others are completely flat.
- Ultrasonic dog whistles
These dog whistles are very different from regular products on the market. They have a close resemblance to a pen and might never pass for a whistle unless you know what they are. Due to the uniqueness of their design, they are able to produce sounds that other types cannot produce. When blown, this type of whistle does not make an audible sound. The only sound humans can hear is a simple air hiss.
Unlike humans, your pets have the ability to hear it when it is blown. This means that even though this type of whistle cannot be heard by humans, pets are able to hear the sound it makes very easily. There is no doubt that this is one reason they are very effective.
Its pitch is so high that humans cannot hear it. However, unlike humans, dogs pick up this sound just like they pick up sounds from other whistles. They, however, are not absolutely silent. Some people are able to pick up some sound when ultrasonic types are blown.
Are you looking to train your pet with the aid of this device without disturbing your neighbors in any way? If yes, you can always bank on this device to give you what you need.
Beyond being less irritating to humans, you can use it if your pet gets startled very easily. Even though ultrasonic dog whistles have lots of benefits, they, however, are not without some drawbacks. For instance, you will notice that they are only effective when used over short distances. Well, it does not end there as they are not as loud as traditional ones and might not be so effective when the environment is noisy.
- Dual-tone whistles
This type produces two different tones. There usually is no guarantee of the exact tone that will work with your pet. Therefore, to find out what tone works with your dog, you will need to carry out a type of test that is called a “wake-up test.”
A simple way of carrying out a wake-up test is by blowing each of the whistle’s two different tones when he is asleep. After doing this, you should note what tone wakes him up. You can buy this dual-tone whistle as a pealess type or as a pea type.
Benefits of Using a Dog Whistle
There are lots of benefits associated with using these habit-shaping tools. Here are some of them.
- A good morale booster: Some people like to punish their pets whenever they misbehave. While they consider it an ideal way of training them, you can have a much better result when you teach your pet not to misbehave using a whistle and rewards. The sound that comes from a whistle is one that pets find interesting. It is, therefore, a lot easier to give them instructions after blowing your whistle.
- Helps you start with a clean slate: Have you spent some time training him but have not been able to get the result you require? If yes, the best dog whistle can help you start fresh. This is possible because lots of people train their pets with their voices. While some are able to achieve results by doing this, not everyone does. If you are unable to get results from training him with your voice, you cannot rule out the possibility that he will keep misbehaving. Well, this coaching whistle is the game changer you need to turn things around.
- The freedom to use various techniques: When you train your pet with your voice, you only have the freedom of using a single technique. This, however, is not the case when you make use of a whistle. With this device, issuing him fresh commands will not pose a bit of a challenge. While whistles simplify the rather difficult training process, you should keep in mind that it is not an automatic process. You, therefore, have to be patient to achieve the desired result.
Tips for Using a Dog Whistle
Just before you make the final decision on the right device for your pet, there are certain points you just need to know. With the information, you should be able to make the most of any product you decide to settle on. That being said, below are those tips you should be armed with.
- Make your dog fall in love with the sound: When training a pet with a whistle, you must lead the pet to associate every action with something nice. By associating some form of pleasure with an activity, you will help him develop a great deal of interest in what you are teaching him to do.
Going by this, to get the best from the use of the training tool, you must get started when your pet is in a good mood. This way, your pet can always link the sound of the whistle to the feeling of happiness.
- Get started on time: You should not wait for him to become an adult before you start training him. If you take this route, you will need to correct a lot of his behavioral flaws. Furthermore, you should begin training right in the comfort of your home.
If you are not able to achieve the right results in the house, achieving these results when he is out of the house might not be possible. Training him to grow into the perfect pet you want him to become is much easier and attainable when you use this sort of training device. Nonetheless, if you overuse the whistle, its sound will become very casual, and he will pay no attention to it.
- Use it in the garden: After achieving some results in the house, the next thing you need to do is take him to the garden and go through the entire process. Now, you might always be tempted to go straight to a public place after this. However, going straight to a public place means you are deliberately jumping the gun. The ideal thing to do is to continue working on the training in the garden. Remember to blow the whistle to grab his attention if you think that something is distracting him.
If he has been properly trained, he will focus on you the moment you blow the whistle. Once you notice you have his attention, make him run towards you and reward him for being obedient. This is one way to make it known that it is always beneficial when he sticks to your instructions.
- Head to a public place: When you have completed the session at home and in the garden, you will head to a public place. Bear in mind that this is a staged program and that you have to teach him bit by bit until the desired result is finally achieved. You should not do this in just any public area because there are certain places this training session should be conducted. Ensure that you test how obedient he is to your whistle in a confined public place. An example of this type of place is a park.
- Do not use it too often when training first begins: One of the most common mistakes newbies still make is always using the training tool. So, you should avoid this error. Once he starts reacting to the sound of the whistle positively, you will be tempted to use it too frequently. This, however, is not the right way to use the device especially when you have just started training him. Before going on to start using the whistle regularly, you must ensure that he responds correctly and is happy whenever the sound goes off.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some questions many prospective users want to have answered.
In truth, everyone is aware of the fact that these pets have ears that are a lot more sensitive than human ears. Regardless of how sensitive their ears are, dogs cannot be harmed by these whistles when they are used correctly. Although they are designed not to cause any harm to your pets, they can actually cause unpleasant sensations and sudden fear when they are blown too loudly or when they are blown very close to your pet’s ears. If you are not so sure of the best way to use it, consult your vet.
The best dog whistle was not designed to be used in scaring away aggressive dogs. You should know that it is meant for training purposes. If you are looking to protect yourself or your dog from aggressive dogs, you should not use these devices. The best bet is to go for dog repellents like pepper spray.
Whistles help you to get your dog to accomplish things you have trained him to do. Going by this, if your pet is not trained to stop barking when this device goes off, it will be impossible to get him to stop barking when you blow the whistle. One thing you must take away is that the training tool was not designed to intimidate dogs. If you attempt to intimidate him, he might end up barking even louder. In the end, the whole thing will leave you frustrated.
There are really no limits to the number of commands that whistles can be used for. To get the most out of them, you simply need to find out the right sound or sound combination for a command.
The right whistle for one breed is most likely not ideal for another. This is because different breeds hear different frequencies. You may consult your vet for more information.
In conclusion, there are various dog whistles on the market, thus making the quest to get the best one difficult. The good thing is that we have carried out exhaustive research to save you precious time, energy, and money. To be clear, we have done the legwork just to help you make the right choice.
All you need to do is to make a pick from the list of products we reviewed in this guide. Afterward, you must realize that training your dog to exhibit the traits you expect of him does not happen overnight. It takes a fairly long while.
Just like humans, different dogs have different learning abilities. So, you should not expect yours to learn as fast or as slow as your friend’s dog. That is, their learning paces vary. You, therefore, should not become angry because he is not learning as fast as you thought he would.
More importantly, you should choose the right whistle for him in order to expedite the training process. The good thing is that the products we reviewed in this guide are tried and trusted. To get the best results, all you need to do is make a pick from the list above. In the end, you will be absolutely delighted you did!