Our dogs are like family members. We take care of them by feeding them regularly, giving them a good home and giving them love. However, they are like babies when it comes to their daily activities. They make a mess when they eat. They lick everything they put in their mouth. They can also pee everywhere. They need constant attention and it can be hard to keep our house spotless all the time.
It’s a good thing that waterproof dog beds now exist. This reduces the work and time people will have to spend washing the sheets and replacing them once or twice a week or cleaning the floor so that they don’t cause irreversible water damage due to urine if they are not checked.
What is a waterproof dog bed? This type of bed is made of waterproof materials and repels water and other liquid components. Waterproofing is possible with a lining that repels liquids or a base that resists liquids. The advantage of the first solution is that when it comes into contact with urine, the liquid will not be absorbed by the foam of the bed. If the base is liquid-proof, the urine can be absorbed by the foam, but it will not leak onto the floor where it is placed. This prevents liquid damage to hardwood floors.
Are you sure you want to give your furry best friend his or her own urine-proof dog bed? Hold your horses, though, as this may not be an easy task. With so many pet stores and a multitude of online stores, it may take some time to find the perfect companion for your pet.
Don’t worry, we’ve had the honour of providing you with a list of the best waterproof beds for dogs. Thanks to this list, you won’t have to browse the web, walk around or window-shop at pet stores in your neighbourhood. In addition, we’ll give you advice on choosing the right product for your stuffed friend, answers to the most frequently asked questions and tips on how to take care of your purchase.
How Did We Pick the Best Waterproof Dog Bed?
We constantly strive to put the interests of our readers above everything else. To make sure we do just that, we use informative and well-crafted articles to simplify the confusing maze you must navigate when choosing products to meet your needs. In a concerted effort to help you get the best from the market, we create product reviews by holistically studying the market and analyzing real customers’ feedback. In the end, you can be sure of a sincere and useful verdict from our team.
If you find our articles useful — please feel free to share them with your family, friends, and colleagues. Follow us on our social media platforms to read the latest online product reviews as they drop.
Why It is Better?
- Why Do You Need a Waterproof Dog Bed?
- How to Choose the Right Waterproof Dog Bed
- Top 7 Best Waterproof Dog Beds
- 1. Milliard Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
- 2. PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
- 3. Barkbox Memory Foam Platform Dog Bed
- 4. Dogbed4less Premium Memory Foam Dog Bed
- 5. Veehoo Elevated Dog Bed
- 6. Brindle Waterproof Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed
- 7. The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Waterproof vs Water-Resistant Dog Beds
- How to Care of Waterproof Dog Beds?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do You Need a Waterproof Dog Bed?
Why would a dog owner need a waterproof dog bed for his/her furry friends? Well, any dog owner can attest to the fact that untrained dogs can be very dirty when peeing. Since most dogs also like to lie down in warm, soft places, their bed will be their safe place, and they can’t always control when they go. This type of bedding gives the owner the assurance that the floor under his best friend’s stain will not always need to be cleaned.
This type of bedding will also keep your puppy comfortable and not get wet. Because the foam is protected, you can count on your dog’s furniture to last longer, so you won’t have to spend a lot of money replacing it. It’s even better if the bed isn’t chewable, so it can last even if your dog is restless.
As dogs get older, they become more active and may not always have better control over when it’s time to go to the bathroom. So, it’s a good idea to get them to start using a moisture-proof mattress early.
This waterproof bed also saves you the time and effort it takes to clean their bed every time. This is especially useful if you work 8 to 5 hours and just want to spend the time when you get home playing with your pets or bonding with your family. You’ll also save money on laundry or dry cleaning compared to a regular bed. So, it’s better to spend more now than to spend regularly in the future on the maintenance of your bed.
How to Choose the Right Waterproof Dog Bed
How do you make a selection, then? Although we have already given you a list of brands from which you can choose, you still have to look for alternatives. So here are a few recommendations when buying a dog bed.
- Size: Dog beds come in different sizes and you want to know what size they are before you buy them, otherwise you might buy a size too small for your beloved furry bud. You want them to be able to stretch well and sleep comfortably, especially when they spend a large part of the day napping. Smaller breeds, such as Yorkshires or Pomeranians, which weigh about 1 to 10 pounds, can make do with a smaller size. Those weighing between 5 and 10 pounds, such as pugs or dachshunds, could use a small one. Medium beds are for those who weigh 26 to 40 pounds, such as beagles or scottish terriers. Large breeds, such as boxers and cocker spaniels, deserve large beds if they weigh 41 to 70 pounds. Extra-wide mattress types are for Retriever Labradors and German Shepherds that can weigh between 71 and 90 pounds.
- Shape: Dog beds can be circular or rectangular in shape. They can also be flat or sofa type. If you are shopping in a store, it may be a good idea to take your pet along and have it chosen. However, the safest way is to buy rectangular flat beds, which are the most common style for orthopaedic brands. Of course, you know your puppy better and whether he prefers to cower when he sleeps or lies carelessly on the floor. You can choose either a sofa like the PetFusion or a flat model like the Dog’s Bed.
- Style and design: Dogs see less color than humans, so style and design can be mainly to your advantage. However, when you have a choice, you want blankets that are water-resistant, which means less frequent washing. The Veehoo Raised Dog Bed has a different style, but does not compromise comfort.
- Material: Foam material is of the utmost importance when it comes to puppy mattresses. Memory foams are excellent for posture and support. If the material is not 100% memory foam, you can opt for a 2 to 4-inch mattress and a 1 to 2 inch solid base for added durability. For covers, you want CertiPUR certified pet safe covers. Those that are lined with thermoplastic urethane are waterproof, so you need to be careful when selecting this material. Also ask about hypoallergenic materials so that your pet is even better protected against allergies or discomfort. Millard’s bed is a good example of this.
- Stuffing: If your dog bed has bolsters, you want them to be partially or fully padded with cotton. Otherwise, the pillow will crush easily over the years. If it is made of synthetic fillings, it may not last for a few years. In addition, the filling must be well covered and the fabric must be chew resistant, so that your puppy doesn’t mess with the cotton when it manages to tear the covers. PetFusion has good padding in its bolsters. Millard does not, so you may not have a choice if your pet prefers soft, cottony blankets.
- Ease of cleaning: Since waterproofing does not mean dirt proofing, you want a bed that is easy to disinfect. You also want the blankets to be easy to remove, otherwise you’ll end up with dirty hands and the living room in a mess. You want to be able to put the blankets in your washing machine easily, so you don’t have to wash it by hand. Your dogs can’t help but get dirty, so you want to save time by avoiding frequent washing. DogBed4Less makes it easy for you with its machine washability and easy-to-remove covers.
- Durability: Budget can be a huge factor, but cheap doesn’t mean savings, so always stick with durable brands for longer use. This means that the material must be manufactured for its waterproof and comfort function. Waterproofness to chewing also contributes to durability, as you don’t want your puppy to tear off the blankets. It’s quite difficult to determine whether a product is durable at first glance, so product evaluations are reliable in this area. Veehoo is a brand that talks about durability and has received excellent reviews from its online buyers.
- Washing capacity: As hand washing can be delicate and time-consuming, choose blankets that are suitable for the machine, so that you can easily disinfect the accessories in your dog bed. This has something to do with the ease of washing the product. You don’t want your puppy to get allergies or infections, so this is really a key factor. DogBed4Less is a good product to remedy this.
- Non-slip base: A non-slip base means that the bottom is rubberized or has an extra coating to increase friction and limit movement. This is especially useful if you have a tiled floor or if you have an extremely energetic dog. Always opt for non-slip bottoms, as they are more stable and fixed, so your doggie won’t be able to get out of bed easily. Brindle is one of the brands that has this feature.
- Brands: It is normal to be aware of marks and to look for household marks. Branded products give some people the assurance that they are naturally good. However, brand does not always translate into quality. Do your research and check customer reviews, as they are usually reliable. Of all the brands we’ve mentioned, the Dogs4Less’ Pooch bed is our best choice.
Top 7 Best Waterproof Dog Beds
1. Milliard Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
The Milliard’s dog bed is really good value for money, which is why it is part of our list of the best waterproof dog beds. It has a medium firm feel measuring 11 IFD of memory foam and a polyurethane foam base that guarantees it will not crush easily. In addition, the foam is orthopaedic, allowing it to fit perfectly to your furry friend’s body for optimal support and comfort.
Its cover is lined with thermoplastic urethane for waterproofing and can be easily cleaned in the washing machine. Its outer cover is made of polyester, which ensures a longer life span. What’s more, it’s well-made, so you don’t have to worry about its durability.
2. PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
We get it, you don’t want to settle for anything less for your pet friend. Of course, you’d want them to have the best waterproof dog bed there is, because they’re irreplaceable. This brand of premium quality dog mattresses from PetFusion might just be what you’re looking for. It provides optimal comfort for your companion while protecting him or her from posture or joint problems. Available in Slate Grey, Sandstone and Chocolate Brown, it is elegant but makes no compromise on quality.
Its side bolsters filled with cotton and polyester provide neck support for a good night’s (or day’s) sleep. Certified by the European REACH standards as a skin-friendly material, it will certainly not damage your bud’s fur. As it is waterproof, you won’t have to worry about slippery floors or blankets filled with urine. When you need to replace the blankets, this is not a problem, as the liners can be easily removed and put back in place.
3. Barkbox Memory Foam Platform Dog Bed Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
We hope to offer our best friend the best, but we still want to stay within our budget. The BarkBox Bed for our pooch is one of the best waterproof beds for dogs for budget conscious owners. Less expensive than other high-end brands, it doesn’t compromise on quality and comfort. It is made of a solid orthopaedic memory foam covered with a temperature regulating gel to keep your pet comfortable even on hot summer days.
Its water-resistant cover, available in four pastel colours, fits perfectly in your living room. You can easily disinfect the covers by putting them in the washing machine! As the manufacturers love dogs, they include a plush toy with the purchase of the mattress for free. This is a great option if you are looking for an economical bed that is also of fairly good quality.
4. Dogbed4less Premium Memory Foam Dog Bed Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
You and your dog will get the comfort you deserve with the DogBed4Less waterproof orthopedic bed. Its gel infused memory foam cushion provides optimal body pressure support to improve your pet’s blood circulation and relieve back pain thanks to its perfect lumbar support. It’s also hypoallergenic, so you won’t have to worry about rashes or sneezing. This way, your pet can really get a good night’s sleep, day after day, for a long period of time. Because it is four times denser and heavier than regular foam, it will not flatten out as quickly over time.
If you’re worried about leaks and damage, the waterproof bed lining can give you peace of mind. It also doesn’t compromise style with its machine washable blue denim cotton cover with an internal zipper. You also don’t need to buy an extra cover, as it comes with a brown microsuede cover. The covers are made of taffeta, with gusseted zippers that are 3 to 5 times thicker than regular zippers and a double seam in the lining, making them chew resistant and durable.
5. Veehoo Elevated Dog Bed Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
Do your dogs like climbing? Well, this Veehoo Raised Dog Bed may be perfect for them. Its mesh material is guaranteed waterproof. If you like to go on outdoor excursions, its non-slip backing can stabilize the bed in different types of soil, from hard rock to grass. Its powder-coated steel guarantees durability and rust-free operation. Thanks to its weight capacity, it can accommodate even the largest breeds of bark.
The textile fabric also offers UV stability and increased heat resistance, making your abundantly furry family members comfortable and cool even during the hot summer months. Its width can accommodate more than one dog (or cat), allowing them to bond and get along. Its unique and ingenious design really makes it one of the best waterproof dog beds on the market today. Because it doesn’t chew, you can avoid buying and spending money on a new bed for a long time.
6. Brindle Waterproof Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
If you are looking for something waterproof that is both comfortable and chew resistant, the Brindle version of the waterproof bed may be your choice. This 4-inch memory foam bed features a machine-friendly outer cover, waterproof secondary layer, high-density bottom foam and a non-slip underlay. This multi-layered comfort not only helps your pet get a good night’s sleep with increased back support and pressure point relief, it also makes you feel comfortable because you won’t find any major mess when you wake up.
Available in a range of sizes for different breeds of dogs, you can choose from different models to suit your living room. If you’re worried about your dog (or your family’s allergies), you won’t have to with this hypoallergenic, moth-safe brand. With its 3-year manufacturer’s warranty, your satisfaction and return on investment are fully guaranteed.
7. The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
Is your furry friend recovering from surgery? Or is it an older dog who spends most of his time in bed? Or is your pet simply an energetic guy who needs a good night’s sleep to recover better? If any of these questions apply, then Dog’s Ball’s Dog Bed could be at the top of your list of the best waterproof dog beds for your cute buddy. This puppy mattress boasts orthopaedic quality that can provide sufficient body support to prevent your puppy from suffering from joint problems.
If your pet already has hip or elbow conditions, such as elbow dysplasia, arthritis or dislocated kneecaps, and will need extra care 24/7, this may be the bed for you. Incontinence won’t be a burden either, as this brand has an easily replaceable cover and a damp-proof layer for longer product life. If you wish to collect its fabs, you can buy them separately under the same brand as there are 11 colour palettes to choose from.
Waterproof vs Water-Resistant Dog Beds
When buying a dog mattress, always read the fine print. It may look waterproof, when in fact it is only waterproof. But what’s the main distinction? Water-resistant beds are those with a water-repellent cover. This means that their cover offers protection against splashing water.
However, huge amounts of liquid can seep through the foam. So it may not be ideal if you have a large breed of dog that urinates frequently and huge amounts of liquid. However, it is ideal for outdoor use and when you are travelling with your doggie.
Waterproof beds can prevent water from getting into the foam itself. The waterproof layer can be placed in the base to prevent liquid from reaching the ground or in the top layer to protect the foam layer from moisture. This solution is ideal if you have a wooden floor, as it prevents damage caused by liquids. If you place the bed on your carpet, you can also be sure that the liquid will not seep in.
How to Care of Waterproof Dog Beds?
Have you finally decided which bed you want? That’s great! However, to make your purchase really worthwhile, you need to take good care of the bed. When you machine wash the blankets, make sure the zippers are securely closed so they don’t snag easily. This is important to keep the zippers in good condition.
Also, when you put your blankets in the washing machine, make sure that they fall freely so that they don’t damage the fabric. If you combine them with other clothes (especially coloured ones), you risk damaging the colour of the cover. If you decide to wash the covers by hand, it is best to vacuum them first and then use a lint roller. Then use hot water to soak them before drying them in the sun. This will reduce the risk of linting and sun damage.
Wash the covers at least once a week. This is more hygienic and will protect your dog from allergies or infections if he gets injured. See the FAQs below on caring for your waterproof dog bed.
Frequently Asked Questions
To keep you well informed, here are some of the most frequently asked questions about dog begging:
Damp Proof beds can be washed once or twice a month. Water-resistant beds and other types of beds should be washed weekly.
Fragrances can be too strong for your dog’s nose, so you may want to use air fresheners specific to your pet. You can also spray a vinegar solution for quick and inexpensive disinfection.
Yes, but you can check the description before you buy them.
Beds are often delivered with only one cover. Replacement covers can be purchased separately.
Some manufacturers offer up to three years warranty. Check the description to make sure your purchase has one.
The best waterproof dog beds offer optimum comfort and freedom for your best friend. They are made of quality and durable materials, certified CertiPUR, and are therefore safe for your pet. If they are truly waterproof, they have an outer cover and a waterproof lining that covers the foam. Orthopedic types prevent postural and muscular discomfort and are therefore recommended.
There are several factors to consider when choosing a mattress for your pet. You must think about the size of the bed and the possibility of your pet being comfortably installed in it. You want to consider your dog’s preference for shape (and height). You want to look for a bed that can be washed easily and conveniently. Materials contribute greatly to durability, so you want bed brands that are padded and encapsulated in quality covers. A non-slip base is also helpful to keep the bed in place and keep your puppy comfortable.
We know there are many brands. That’s why it can be difficult to determine the best one. However, if you choose from our list, your dog is sure to be comfortable. And when your beloved puppy is happy, you’re happy.