Fleas are annoying pests that freely lounge in your dog’s fur and skin. These little insects attach themselves to the dog’s coat while sucking his blood. Because these insects leech on your pet’s blood, he scratches his body all the time, leading to dark patches and hair loss. In addition, this irritates and causes reddened skin. However, flea shampoos can save the day! The question that probably comes to your mind is “What are flea shampoos?” Well, they are a liquid preparation or cream used to bathe the dog in order to eliminate these blood-sucking insects. These insects are relentless and multiply easily, thus turning your dog’s body into a breeding ground.
Since you will bathe him with the cream, you need a high-quality one. With the wide variety of such creams on the market, it is challenging to select the one that perfectly suits your dog. As a result, we conducted thorough research to find out the best products for you. Therefore, you have our assurance that you are perusing the right guide. After going through it, you can be sure that you do not need any other reviews out there. More importantly, in an effort to give you the best options, we will explore the best dog flea shampoo based on ease of use, a series of tests, users’ feedback, and effectiveness. With that said, it is time to set the ball rolling.
How Did We Pick the Best Flea Shampoo?
We constantly strive to put the interests of our readers above everything else. To make sure we do just that, we use informative and well-crafted articles to simplify the confusing maze you must navigate when choosing products to meet your needs. In a concerted effort to help you get the best from the market, we create product reviews by holistically studying the market and analyzing real customers’ feedback. In the end, you can be sure of a sincere and useful verdict from our team.
If you find our articles useful — please feel free to share them with your family, friends, and colleagues. Follow us on our social media platforms to read the latest online product reviews as they drop.
Why It is Better?
- Why You Need a Flea Shampoo?
- How to Pick the Right Flea Shampoo
- Top 5 Best Flea Shampoos
- 1. Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo with Precor
- 2. TropiClean Natural Flea & Tick Shampoos for Dogs
- 3. Oster Flea and Tick Shampoo with Oatmeal
- 4. Hartz UltraGuard Fresh Scented Rid Flea & Tick Dog Shampoo
- 5. Sentry Flea & Tick Shampoo with Oatmeal for Dogs
- How to Prevent Fleas from Returning
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why You Need a Flea Shampoo?
Having come this far, we will transition to another key segment of this guide. Why do you really need these insect killers? You see, every dog owner wants their pet to be happy, comfortable, and healthy. Without a doubt, the best flea shampoo will kill the adult pests, destroy their eggs, and break their life cycle. With this, you can be confident that pests will have no place on your puppy’s delicate coat.
Furthermore, it is vital to address any outbreak of fleas upon noticing it. It is essential to check their reproduction and prevent them from spreading. There are many signs you will notice if your puppy has these blood-sucking insects. It will trigger lots of discomfort for your pet and might make the house uncomfortable for everyone. Just before we list why you need this vital cream, we must show you the symptoms of fleas. The following signs will let you know if your puppy is dealing with these insects.
The most important reasons why your dog needs a flea shampoo.
- Prevention of future outbreaks of these parasites
- Are powerful and show results almost immediately
- An effective form of treatment that is not as harsh as an oral or topical spot treatment
- Cleanse the dog’s skin, restoring its health and giving it soft and shiny fur
Might have oatmeal for soothing your puppy’s dry skin.
- Excessive scratching: These insects attach themselves to the skin of your dog. It causes great discomfort, and in turn, your dog will scratch its skin. In extreme cases, your dog will bite and lick itself. In time, this will result in hair loss and scabs if not treated.
- Eggs: Flea eggs hatch to release parasites that leech off their hosts. These offspring grow and also lay eggs on their hosts. If the eggs fall off, you could have such eggs in your carpet, couch, and bedding. The eggs hatch within a week, which could trigger a full-blown attack in a couple of days.
- Dirt: Well, they often leave feces behind after leeching on their hosts. Sadly, they do this on your dog’s fur. Whenever you see tiny black specs on your dog’s fur, it could point to an infestation. Fleas can also leave their droppings on your carpet, bedding, furniture, and other surfaces around the house. Seeing this evidence is one of the surest signs you have such a problem at home.
- Bites: If such an issue is left unchecked, it will multiply exponentially. This multiplication means you have many pests that will not only affect your dog but humans as well. With this, you, alongside your dog, play host to these pesky insects. One or more of the following are sure signs that your pet has such an infestation. After noticing this, taking steps instantly is the best bet to check their spread. This is where shampoo comes in. You can use these products like you would use regular shampoo to wash your dog. You will wash your puppy beginning from its head and the back of the ears. From there, proceed to other parts of its body. The lather from this shampoo must sit on your dog for five minutes for effective results. By and large, the best creams are safe and will not cause irritation to your dog’s skin.
How to Pick the Right Flea Shampoo
There are myriads of shampoos on the market for treating your pet when fleas are infesting its coat. However, you cannot just pick any shampoo that appeals to you. You need the product that works for your puppy and is powerful enough to exterminate these insects. We have the following features that will help narrow your search when in need of the best flea shampoo for dogs. Keep in mind that we considered these factors before compiling our list of the best flea shampoos.
- Effectiveness: Forget all the bold claims made by any brand; if it does not work, it is useless. This means that you need your puppy flea cream to do what it says by removing these insects from your dog in no time. If the shampoo for your pet does not do this, you are better off with another product.
- Ingredients: You should take the ingredients of this product seriously. It can affect you (the owner) and your dog as well. The formula is vital because some ingredients could trigger a negative reaction in your pet. Keep in mind, however, that ingredients like rosemary, tea tree oil, vitamin E, and honey do not trigger irritation.
- Brands: There are companies that have a good reputation for making high-quality animal care products. You can trust their products not to trigger any ill effects on your pet’s body and health. On the other hand, there are brands with a bad reputation. Buying from them is likened to putting your lovely puppy in harm’s way. Good brands include TropiClean Natural Flea, Adams Plus Flea, Oster Flea, etc.
- Scent: When it comes to scent, you should pick based on what you or your dog prefers. You should, however, go with something that will not trigger an allergic reaction in your dog. People that have a dog with sensitive skin should be careful about their choice of flea shampoo.
- What it eradicates: Even though we call it flea shampoo, the idea is not to get rid of fleas alone. Ideally, this product should get rid of other insects like ticks and lice along with their eggs. Before picking any product for your dog, be sure it gets you all these benefits. With that, you will make a smart choice.
- Preventative powers: These blood-sucking insects are very stubborn and have a high reproductive rate. This calls for a powerful product that can break their life cycle. In other words, you need a product that is still effective days after using it. A good example is Sentry Flea & Tick Shampoo. It keeps them away for more than 10 days after use.
Top 5 Best Flea Shampoos
1. Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo with Precor Review
We Don’t Like
Veterinarians all over the globe trust Adams Plus due to its effectiveness in dealing with fleas and ticks. It is the best flea shampoo to consider purchasing for your pet because it is very effective. While it is effective, the cream is also not harmful to your puppy. However, you should only use it if your pet is 12 months old and above. It is specially formulated to prevent the growth of insects for up to a month, destroying their eggs for good. With respect to how it gets rid of those eggs, this cream interrupts and cuts off their life cycle, ensuring that they do not come back.
Its continuous use can help eradicate every trace of fleas from your home. Moreover, there are deep conditioners that take care of dandruff and scales. The application of Adams Plus will make your dog’s fur soft and healthy. It is a strong cream that deals a heavy blow to the most stubborn blood-sucking pests. Lastly, it is very budget-friendly, thus making it a must-buy product for every home with a dog.
2. TropiClean Natural Flea & Tick Shampoos for Dogs Review
We Don’t Like
No doubt, this is one of the most sought-after products for everyone who needs a natural shampoo to get rid of those blood-sucking insects from their dog’s skin. Indeed, TropiClean is a terrific choice because it offers many benefits. Here is a product made with completely natural ingredients that will not trigger any allergy or adverse reaction in your pet whatsoever. You can also depend on it to eliminate those insects in no time. Not only will it kill them, it also kills larvae and eggs deposited on his body.
The absence of pyrethrin or permethrin, which are famous chemical compounds found in pest repellents, makes it completely safe for your pet. It is recommended for restoring and maintaining healthy and naturally glowing skin. When you apply the shampoo, it is effective for a week, so your pet can be free of these annoying pests. As long as your puppy is 12 weeks old, this shampoo will work for him. It cooperates with every breed irrespective of size and weight.
3. Oster Flea and Tick Shampoo with Oatmeal Review
We Don’t Like
If you are looking for an affordable yet effective cream, you have one here. You can also trust it to deal a deadly blow to fleas and ticks. Whatever the life stage of these disease-transmitting pests, this cream will eliminate them for good. The shampoo comes with a natural oatmeal extract that keeps your dog’s skin in top condition. Additionally, it has no toxic ingredients like dyes or alcohol that can hurt your dog, so you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Its ingredients are known to be biodegradable, which is reassuring because your puppy is in safe hands.
The pyrethrins are naturally derived and kill all fleas, and the oatmeal content soothes their coat after application. It is noteworthy that this shampoo foams easily, thanks to its surfactants. The lather helps you wash grime and dirt off your pet without a hassle. The result is a soft, shiny, clean, plush, and flea-free dog coat. The shampoo accomplishes this due to its balanced pH composition. With all these perks and more, this product snagged a spot on our list.
4. Hartz UltraGuard Fresh Scented Rid Flea & Tick Dog Shampoo Review
We Don’t Like
All dog owners who need a quick tried-and-tested cream for getting rid of disease-transmitting ticks should settle on this product. We included it on this list after trying it ourselves. Upon using it for a while, we found out that our dog looks fresher and happier. Obviously, it killed all the ticks and worms. In addition to killing those pests, this product ensured that their eggs were completely eliminated. Here is a strong product that offers protection even after bathing, making it dog owners’ best flea shampoo for dogs.
Its ingredients are gentle, so there is little or no irritation. It is also one effective cream you should consider including as part of your dog-grooming routine. With respect to its ingredients, it has pyrethrin. Perhaps you did not know, but the compound takes care of all manner of pests and insects in your dog’s fur. The citrus scent will leave your puppy smelling nice after every use. Lest we forget, it contains oatmeal, which gives a soothing effect on dry and itchy skin.
5. Sentry Flea & Tick Shampoo with Oatmeal for Dogs Review
We Don’t Like
This is a terrific choice for all dog owners who want a lasting solution to these insects. This is because it comes with effective ingredients that leave lasting effects on your puppy’s skin. In other words, it kills all pests and insects, thus leaving your pet with healthy and pest-free skin. Besides, it is an ideal part of all dog grooming. With oatmeal, it soothes your dog’s skin (especially dry and flaky skin), preventing any form of irritation.
It is gentle enough for adult dogs and puppies without complications. It contains a special formula that supports the proper pH of your furry pet. With this, it will calm skin that has been irritated due to these blood-sucking insects. It is not only gentle but also potent enough to keep these pesky insects off your canine for up to 10 days after use.
How to Prevent Fleas from Returning
You have invested in a very effective flea shampoo for dogs. Well, it does not end there. You have to follow the instructions for applying it to get rid of pests in your pet’s coat. The battle is far from over. As we mentioned earlier, these insects are stubborn and reproduce at an alarming rate. This means that with just a couple, there is a high chance that many will develop. Treating your dog with flea shampoo is not the main solution.
Your main aim should be getting rid of the insects entirely so that they do not return. This section will explore some tips that will assist you in keeping them at bay. Keep in mind, however, that getting rid of pests is a process that takes time, so you just have to be patient. While it is not a difficult process, you need perseverance and a thorough approach. In addition, for effectiveness, you might have to repeat the process to ensure an all-round solution to get rid of fleas and every other annoying and pesky insect.
- .Eliminate the root cause: Getting rid of fleas from your home does not stop with using flea shampoo. After cleaning your dog, it is important to make sure that you check several areas of your house that might be housing the annoying insects. As a result, you need do a thorough inspection of a number of particular areas: floors (carpets and rugs); furniturelawns; car rugs; garden mulch; anywhere that might serve as an entry point like cracks and crevices; the garage; the basement and anywhere mammals might hide.
- Wash the affected area: Here comes another step you should follow to keep these annoying insects at bay. Sure, you need to be thorough in exterminating these insects from your place of abode by taking these steps. Take all bed sheets, towels, and cleaning sheets out and wash in hot water; Vacuum your floor and carpets thoroughly; Tightly seal the vacuum cleaner bag and trash it immediately; Thoroughly wash all hard surfaces; Make sure to clean again after the first round should you see any of these pests. Sighting any is a sure sign that they are likely coming back in force soon.
- Treat your yard: If you did not know before now, you should know now that they love to hide in places that are moist, shady, and warm. This means that you will surely find them in your yard. If you have an outdoor dog that likes to play outside, check the exact spot where the dog spends most of its time. Spray that place alongside the kennel as it is sure they will be hiding there also. Additionally, keep your garden raked thoroughly. Do not leave leaves and debris lying around as this will prevent fleas from finding a place to hide.
- Treat their travel accessories: For people who go on a trip with their dogs, make sure to treat and disinfect canine travel accessories. This includes their crate, blankets, and other bedding used on the journey. Make sure you wash all clothing accessories with water and dry them. Use hot and soapy water to wash their crate. Spray it with a tick or flea mist to repel these annoying creatures.
- Hire the pros: In extreme cases, you should enlist the services of a professional in preventing fleas and ticks from coming back. These people have strategies designed to keep them miles away from your home and property for a long time. Professionals understand the behavior of these insects. They can apply this knowledge to prevent the insects from coming back to your home. Getting rid of these insects from your home permanently should be your overall goal. These little pesky insects can be stubborn; you need an aggressive approach to make your home flea-free.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some questions many people ask:
The chemicals in a flea shampoo for dogs can cause irritation to your dog’s sensitive organs like its eyes, mouth, and ears. In addition to that, you cannot use all the creams the same way. While you can rinse some off immediately after application, you can let some stay on your dog for a couple of minutes. You need to follow the manual that comes with the product to ensure your dog will be comfortable and safe.
Make sure the manufacturer’s direction guides you on how often you should use a particular shampoo. Excessive use is not advisable because the harsh chemicals in the shampoo can irritate your dog’s sensitive organs (eyes, skin, nose, and mouth). There are some of these shampoos designed for weekly use, while others might require a ten-day interval between uses.
Your dog must be at least 12 weeks old before using flea shampoo on it. Again, this comes down to the specific brand you are using.
To be clear, it is rich in many important nutrients that benefit the dog’s skin. It soothes the skin, reducing irritation and inflammation and helping to get rid of itchiness. The antioxidant content of the oatmeal makes this possible. While oatmeal will not kill insects on its own, it can repel insects. Manufacturers mainly use it in shampoo due to the soothing effect it has on the skin.
Without a doubt, this guide has examined many key things you need to know about dog flea shampoos. It is a well-researched guide that has analyzed critical facts for you. We have picked the top 5 products on the market and reviewed them. We examined the pros, cons, features, and product descriptions with the aim of guiding you towards the best choice. We have explored best use practices alongside other reasons why you need these creams.
Still, we also examined top factors to consider in choosing the best among the rest. For many people who would like to prevent these blood-sucking insects from returning to prey on their puppies, we dedicated a whole section to that topic. Based on everything we discussed in this guide, we selected the 5 best products for you. These are the result of exhaustive research. As a dog owner, all you need to do is choose one of these products. We have done our part; it is your turn to do what is necessary. Place your order now to make your puppy happy, healthy, and safe!