You can do your best to keep your home and your pet squeaky clean, but this is no guarantee that your pet will not leave fur and unpleasant smells around your house. With a damp sponge and vacuum cleaner, you can get the fur out. This is far easier than can be said about strong pet odors. In such cases, what you need is a high-quality pet odor neutralizer.
If you can lay your hands on a quality product, it will eliminate that stubborn odor and leave your house smelling fresh. You will the pleasure of germ-free surroundings with the right product. Odor removers are a great way to maintain a pleasant and healthy home. But all of this is dependent on the effectiveness of the product you are using.
So, which products are the most effective in removing pet odors? We have compiled a list of five of the most effective pet odor removers on the market after researching lots of them. These few were selected based on value, safety, budget, and convenience.
How Did We Pick the Best Pet Odor Remover?
We constantly strive to put the interests of our readers above everything else. To make sure we do just that, we use informative and well-crafted articles to simplify the confusing maze you must navigate when choosing products to meet your needs. In a concerted effort to help you get the best from the market, we create product reviews by holistically studying the market and analyzing real customers’ feedback. In the end, you can be sure of a sincere and useful verdict from our team.
If you find our articles useful — please feel free to share them with your family, friends, and colleagues. Follow us on our social media platforms to read the latest online product reviews as they drop.
Why It is Better?
- Why You Need a Pet Odor Neutralizer?
- How to Pick Right Pet Odor Remover
- Top 5 Best Pet Odor Removers
- 1. Simple Solution Extreme Pet Stain and Odor Remover
- 2. Nature’s Miracle Advanced Stain and Odor Eliminator Dog
- 3. Bissell Febreze Extra Strength Pet Odor Eliminator Room & Carpet Deodorizing Powder Endorsed
- 4. KIDS ‘N’ PETS – Instant All-Purpose Stain & Odor Remover
- 5. OUT! Pet Stain Odor Remover – Best Pet Odor Remover
- How to Use Pet Odor Neutralizer
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why You Need a Pet Odor Neutralizer?
We already mentioned that a good pet odor eliminator will remove every pet-related odor from your house, leaving it with little to no germs and smelling nice. But that is not all there is to it. There are other reasons you need this product in your house if you are a pet owner.
- They are nothing like other cleaning agents: The thing is, odor eliminators clean an affected surface like soap and water do, but there is more to it than that. They work on and remove any odor on any affected surface. This could be anywhere in your house and on any surface. They can be applied to furniture, carpets, ceramic floors, hardwood floors, and even on grass.
- Does not cause alterations: This is an interesting benefit; you can use these products on any surface that may be affected by unpleasant smells without altering the color, texture, or anything else. This means you can safely use it on fabrics, your furniture, and any other sensitive areas.
- Can remove fresh and stale odors: It does not matter if the odor is a recent one you only just noticed after you can back from work or a stale one that has been around for months, the right odor remover product can eliminate it completely. But you need to make sure you get a quality one if you wish to experience that peace of mind – do not worry, we got you covered with our list of high-quality odor eliminator carefully selected.
- Can remove the smell of urine: Urine is one of the causes of pet odor around the house, especially if your pet is still going through house training. You do not have to keep him outdoors or not let him into the house because of that. With a urine odor eliminator, you can easily get rid of that awful smell and still enjoy the time with your pet indoors.
How to Pick Right Pet Odor Remover
It is worth emphasizing at this point that not all of the supposed pet odor removers out there will live up to your expectations. A lot of them are simply substandard and ineffective. Some others are made with materials that are harmful to pets and humans.
This is all the more reason that you should stick to what has worked for you before. If you have not yet found an effective one, then you can choose from our list of carefully researched and reviewed odor remover which we picked based on the following factors.
- Brands: What brand you decide to go for matters a lot. Expert marketers will tell you to go for older proven brands as opposed to the newer ones. This is not to say there is anything wrong with the new ones, but with the older brands, you can easily find information, ratings, and reviews. Some of the brands we recommend include OUT, Kids and Pets, Simple Solution, Nature’s Miracle, and Febreeze.
- Safety: Do not buy any eliminator that contains bleach if you do not want it ruining the color of affected areas. This is usually the case with a lot of substandard products on the market. Always check to make sure the ingredients used are all safe for pets, humans, and any surface you intend to use it on.
- Ingredients: The effectiveness of what product you chose is greatly dependent on what ingredients it contains. First of all, the ingredients should not be harmful to either pets and humans. They should not have the ability to bleach either. Experts advise going for an all-natural eliminator made from safe and effective ingredients.
- Fragrance: The ability to clean out an area and remove the bad smell is important, but so is the fragrance the product leaves behind. The fragrance should be pleasing and inviting, it should not be pungent or intensive. The best of them are lightly-scented like a mild perfume.
- Ease of use: The best pet odor remover for you may come in different forms such as powders, liquids, or something in between. For the sake of convenience, you may prefer to go for the liquid ones as they are easier to use. This is not the same with the ones that come in powdered form because they must be dissolved in some kind of solvent before being used.
- Efficiency: Some products are effective on fabrics and rugs but are not effective on hard surfaces such as ceramic tiles. Others are effective on any surface. Also, note that the best urine remover on the market is so effective that it will remove the odor from an area, and retain a fresh smell in that area, even if a pet pees there again.
Top 5 Best Pet Odor Removers
After all that has been said, here are the products that we highly recommend to anyone that has a pet, and wishes to keep their house clean and free from pet odor. They have been selected based on effectiveness, fragrance, cost, and safety.
1. Simple Solution Extreme Pet Stain and Odor Remover Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
This is the best pet odor eliminator on our list. It works well, not just in removing unwanted odors, but also in cleaning out feces, vomit, drool, urine, and so on. It is available in three different sizes; 400 ml, 945 ml, and 3.75 liters. It is also available in different container styles – there is a spray bottle with an ergonomic shape for easy application, there is the bigger bottle with an easy pour cap for targeted application, and there is the biggest gallon with a regular cap which is better suited for largescale cleaning.
When buying this product, you will be faced with three different options. One is the original formula which is three times stronger than a regular cleaner. Then there is the scented formula that leaves a refreshing feel to the area it was applied to. The third option is the extreme dog formula which is known to remove tough stains made by your pet. This product has been approved by Cleanseal and Woolsafe and verified as safe to be used on various surfaces.
2. Nature’s Miracle Advanced Stain and Odor Eliminator Dog Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
If you are looking for a budget-friendly product that can effectively clean out any pet odors without you having to spend too much, then Nature’s Miracle Advanced Stain and Odor Eliminator is the product for you. This product was expertly formulated to remove all sorts of tough stains and smells from clothes, furniture, carpet, and even hard surfaces. It leaves a memorable fragrance behind for a really long time to discourage pets from re-soiling the same location.
It takes about fifteen minutes to clean out tough stains, and just five minutes to clean minor ones. As far as we can tell, this product can be categorized as a fast cleaner. Also, it does not take much time to dry. The makers of this product have so much faith in it that they are willing to offer your money back to you if you are not satisfied with the results.
3. Bissell Febreze Extra Strength Pet Odor Eliminator Room & Carpet Deodorizing Powder Endorsed Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
In case you are into powdered pet odor eliminators, the Febreze Extra Strength Pet Odor Eliminator is a good product for you to try out. It works by loosening dirt and pet stains stuck to your carpet or fabrics, making it easier to suck them away with a high-powered vacuum cleaner. It leaves a very nice long-lasting, and refreshing fragrance behind which discourages re-soiling as well.
It is safe to be used around pets and humans, so long as it is not ingested. You can employ some level of creativity as well by using it to clean out loose dog poop. All you have to do in this case is sprinkle a little bit of it on the stool, it will soak it up pretty quickly, making it easier to clean, and leaving a nice fragrance behind. You have to be careful when using this product because a small amount really goes a long way. On that point, it is easy to classify this eliminator as cost-effective.
4. KIDS ‘N’ PETS – Instant All-Purpose Stain & Odor Remover Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
First off, let us say that this product is not so safe that you do not have to worry too much when it comes to your pet or kids. It may be made of the safest ingredients but some caution is still needed because it can cause some health complications when abused or kept carelessly. Be that as it may, this KIDS ‘N’ PETS – Instant All-Purpose Stain & Odor Remover is on our list as the fourth-best pet odor remover because it is quite effective in eliminating pet odors and stains.
It comes in packs of one, two, or three 800 ML bottles with slender bodies and a spray nozzle for extra convenience when using it. When it is applied to an affected area, it does not take a lot of time to work and reveal satisfying results. Be sure your pets or kids are not allowed around the treated area until it dries. This product is safe to be used on any water-safe surface and materials like carpet, furniture, floors, clothing, mattress, pet cages, etc.
5. OUT! Pet Stain & Odor Remover – Best Pet Odor Remover Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
Finally, the last on our list is the OUT! Pet Stain & Odor Remove made in the USA and known to effectively clean out stains and odors from your home. It can be used on any water-safe surface or materials such as carpet, rugs, tile, bedding, concrete, and so on. It comes in a 945 ml bottle with a spray nozzle for easy application.
It is a safe option for both pets and humans. It does not contain any harsh chemicals, so you do not need any extra protection gear when using it. Aside from actively cleaning out pet odors and stains, it can also last for a really long time, with a lingering fragrance that discourages re-soiling. Before applying this product to the affected area, it is advisable that you do a patch test to make sure it does not bleach. According to a few reviews, the fragrance is quite strong, but not refreshing.
How to Use Pet Odor Neutralizer
Getting the most effective pet odor remover you can find in the market is great, but that is not all there is to it. It is important that you know how to use it properly to make sure you get the results you desire, and more importantly, to make sure it does not constitute any health hazards. Here are the recommended steps you should take when using a pet odor remover.
- Clean out the urine or poop first. To remove the poop, use a poop scooper to pick it up and dispose of it. To remove the urine, use a highly absorbent material to soak it up.
- Pour some warm water on the affected area and let it sit for about a minute. Clean up the water and repeat the process. Do this at least three times to dilute the urine and help the formula to work faster and more effectively.
- Do a patch test with the product on any material you intend to use it on to make sure it will not bleach it or damage it in any way.
- Next, wet the whole of the affected area with the pet odor remover solution. Use just enough to cover the affected area.
- Let it sit for ten minutes at least to help the product work effectively in removing the stain, odor, and infuse its fragrance.
- Absorb the solution using an absorbent towel and let it dry completely.
- Once the area is dry, vacuum if need be and inspect it thoroughly.
Frequently Asked Questions
At this point, you should have all the information you need to shop for the right product that is safe, effective, and budget-friendly for you and your household. We have done all the work for you we have selected the five products listed above as being the best on the market. If you must choose anything outside what we recommend, it is important to carry out in-depth research to make sure you are buying a great product. Here are some of the most common questions people ask about this product.
A few things you have to keep in mind when shopping for a neutralizer include the active ingredients, safety, ease of application, and after-effects.
Basically, pet odors are as a result of bodily secretions like urine, feces, and drool interacting with bacteria, yeast, and other germs. They can also be as a result of bad breath, gas formation, ear infection, improper diet, anal gland problems, and medical conditions such as kidney failure, cancer, diabetes, yeast infection, and so on.
One thing that makes it really easy to remove pet odor is cleaning the affected area promptly. Be careful while cleaning out the waste; do not rub it around. Dab it carefully with a highly absorbent material in the case of urine or drool, pick it up carefully with a poop scooper in the case of poop. Rubbing it all around will just affect the surrounding area by spreading.
When the area is sufficiently clean, apply the pet odor eliminator of your choice, let it sit for, at least, ten minutes, and then dab it up again till it is no longer wet. Then allow it to dry fully.
No, not all of them are pet or kid-friendly, especially those of them that are made with harmful chemicals. To protect your pets and kids from these products make sure you purchase only neutralizers that are made of natural ingredients.
Vinegar is one ingredient used in a lot of the best pet odor removers out there. It can clean stains and remove odors effectively and works really well on just about any surface.
Before we wrap it up, just know that when your home has a pet odor, it makes you look bad. And most times, the bad smell may linger on your clothes and person even when you are not in the house. That is very embarrassing. No matter how hard you clean and scrub, it may not make the smell go away. The only option left is for you to invest in the best pet odor neutralizer you can find and use it according to its instructions to achieve results that are refreshingly satisfying.
With a lot of substandard products in the market, it may be hard to make the right choice. This is why we have put this piece together to inform you of the things you should look out for when shopping for a pet odor remover, how to use it, and better still, the best five of them in the market.