Best Dog Nail Grinder
Your pup is your playmate and best friend; so, you feel obligated to take good care of him. You feed him and bathe him. You brush him regularly too but grooming does not end there. When his nails get too long, you must trim them so they do not hurt you. Now, you want to get his nails done with a nail clipper, but he runs amok. Just by looking at the picture, it is crystal clear that something has gone amiss. Don’t sweat it too much — you just need a good nail grinder to get the job done. That’s because nail grinders do a better job than the nail clipper.
Now you know this, you’ll want to find the best dog nail grinder you can to trim all of those ugly-looking nails at once. Rest assured that you are perusing the right guide. Keep in mind that this review is a product of exhaustive research, reading customers’ views, and hands-on testing. One thing we can guarantee you is that this article has everything you need to trim your pup’s nails, strengthening the bond between you two, and much more.
How Did We Pick the Best Dog Nail Grinder?
We constantly strive to put the interests of our readers above everything else. To make sure we do just that, we use informative and well-crafted articles to simplify the confusing maze you must navigate when choosing products to meet your needs. In a concerted effort to help you get the best from the market, we create product reviews by holistically studying the market and analyzing real customers’ feedback. In the end, you can be sure of a sincere and useful verdict from our team.
If you find our articles useful — please feel free to share them with your family, friends, and colleagues. Follow us on our social media platforms to read the latest online product reviews as they drop.
Why It is Better?
- Why You Need a Dog Nail Grinder
- How to Pick the Right Dog Nail Grinder
- Top 5 Best Dog Nail Grinders
- 1. Dremel 7300-PT 4.8V Cordless Pet Dog Nail Grooming & Grinding Tool
- 2. Hertzko Electric Pet Nail Grinder Gentle
- 3. Peroom Dog Nail Grinder
- 4. INNOPAW Dog Nail Grinder
- 5. Oster Gentle Paws Less Stress Dog and Cat Nail Grinder
- Disadvantages of Dog Nail Grinders
- Tips for Dog Nail Grinding
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why You Need a Dog Nail Grinder
At this point, you are probably still not convinced whether you should get a nail grinder for dogs or not. That’s fair enough, but the following points will help you to grasp why you need this device, and fast too.
- Healthy nails: One of the reasons why you need a nail grinder is that they keep your dog’s nails healthy. If they are neat, it gives a clear message that you are taking good care of him. His nails will look short and bright, making your pup very cool to play with. You sure do not want his nails to become a breeding ground for disease.
- Easy to tolerate: Many pets have an aversion to the nail clippers, they tend to freak out when they see them. On the other hand, they do not seem to have a problem with nail grinders. In other words, you do not need to stress out whenever you use it on your puppy or feel that he may become distressed.
- Smooth cut: If you wish to give your pup a smooth cut, it has to be this grooming tool because it is specially designed for that purpose. Conversely, the clippers have been always known to leave them with rough nails. In the end, you will find out that they are scratching the carpet or rugs in your home.
- Speed: While other grooming tools have been there for a while now, nail grinders have become increasingly popular because they deliver much faster results. There’s no doubt that speed matters, and that is one of the many benefits that nail grinders give your pup. It does not matter whether he has thick, strong nails or not, the task will be accomplished in no time.
- Happier dog: While trimming their nails can be a horrifying experience for some dogs, they are always happy whenever they get through the ordeal. When you use a nail grinding tool all the time, you will certainly have a pet that will be excited all the time.
How to Pick the Right Dog Nail Grinder
Having seen its numerous benefits, we can tell that you are already anxious to get your hands on the best pet nail grinder. Well, not so fast! The reason you should slow down is that you have to pay attention to a few things. In our concerted effort to round up the best products for you, we factored these things in.
- Ease of use: One of the factors you must consider before making a pick is its ease of use. The thing is, grinding of a pup’s nails is far better than clipping them. However, one challenge you have to overcome is getting the right device that is easy to use. When you find such a cutting-edge tool, your dog will not find it difficult to get used to the practice. It is in your interest to get a doggie nail grinder that is not cumbersome and heavy.
- Safety: You do not wish to harm your pet while grinding, do you? If we are on the same page, you should go for a device that has a safety guard. The function of the guard is to ensure that you do not cut their nails up to the nerve tissue. It helps you to know how far down you have gone in the process.
- Comfort: Another factor you need to consider is your dog’s comfort. When you see your pet vehemently reject certain nail clippers, you may be tempted not to trim his nails because you do not want to hurt him. This is understandable. Nevertheless, neglecting his nails will result in severe health problems. Note that some grinding tools are noisy and can make your pet uncomfortable. Therefore, look out for the tool that he is comfortable with.
- Power/speed: To trim your dog’s nail using grinders requires some power and speed. With that in mind, you must focus on the grooming tool that of capable of getting the job done without hurting your dog. If it harms your pet, what use is it? It is even much worse if the grooming tool is too slow because you will not be able to achieve the desired result. On the other hand, if it is too powerful, it can pretty difficult to control.
- Noise: If you have been grooming pups for a while now, you probably know that high-pitched sound or noise can make them very uncomfortable. If you are a beginner, you should always keep that in mind. Therefore, ensure that the best dog nail grinder for you is not noisy, most especially if noise scares him.
- Material: The material is one of the most important factors you must consider before making a pick. The material will mostly be plastic that should be free from harmful substances. Therefore, check the detailed material information to ensure that it does not contain any harmful compounds.
- Brands: We cannot overemphasize the importance of brands in making your pick of ideal grooming tool. A brand’s reputation must be earned and companies make a serious effort to build on it. As a result, they never compromise on quality for anything else. The good thing is that all the products we have reviewed for this guide fall into this category. Examples include Dremel, Hertzko Electric, Innopaw, etc.
- Corded or cordless: Do you wish to get the best grinder for your needs? If yes, you must decide whether you need a corded or cordless device. The corded type needs an external power outlet. On the other hand, the cordless type has built-in rechargeable batteries.
- Charging time: If you choose a grooming device with rechargeable batteries, you should consider the fact that they have different charging times. The reason is simply that you would not want the grinder to stop abruptly in the middle of using it.
Top 5 Best Dog Nail Grinders
1. Dremel 7300-PT 4.8V Cordless Pet Dog Nail Grooming & Grinding Tool Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
No doubt, its number of features earned this dog nail grinder a spot on this list. One unique feature is the ease with which you can change its accessories. You can easily switch from pet grooming to light-duty projects. With a Dremel, you can easily and safely trim your pup’s nails, leaving him with an amazing look. You will also like the fact that it is rechargeable, thus saving you the cost of constant battery replacements.
This is a device that guarantees you humane and safe trimming. With its easy-to-follow instructions, you will find it pretty easy to use. Designed in a gray color, this dog-grooming tool has speed settings of 13,000 RPM and a 60-grit sanding drum. Interestingly enough, it has a 2-year warranty, which reassures you that you have nothing to worry about. If you wish to know the power behind this device, it is a Nickel Cadmium (NiCad) battery. With all this and more, your pup’s amazing time is guaranteed.
2. Hertzko Electric Pet Nail Grinder Gentle Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
If you wish to make the task of trimming your pup’s nails super exciting, you need to gift yourself this grooming device. One of the fascinating features of this device is that it is designed to have little noise and vibration. The outcome is that it does not scare your pet. Getting one of these devices is, no doubt, one of the ways you can give your pup some well-deserved pampering. More importantly, it eliminates the risks of cutting too short or harming your pup.
It is a lightweight and portable device, making it very easy to use. With a USB charge port, you can charge it on the go so that you do not necessarily have to rely on mains power. One thing you will definitely enjoy when you use it is that you do not get to clip your dog’s claws, which makes it highly recommended. It has 3 ports that can be used for different sizes of dogs. Lastly, it is very easy to clean.
3. Peroom Dog Nail Grinder Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
We have to mention that this product earned our most durable product on the market award because it is designed with durability taken into consideration. It is easy to charge on the go because it has a provision for USB charging. One of the most innovative features of this grooming tool is that you can use one out of its three ports for different pets. Each of the ports has different speed levels, ensuring that you get the best results in no time.
Essentially, Port 1 (0.20 inches) is recommended for small-sized pets, such as poodles and teddy. On the other hand, Port 2 (0.30 inches) fits medium-sized dogs like bulldog and chow-chow. Lastly, Port 3 (0.50 inches) is ideal for large-sized pets and fast grinding. The breeds that fall into this category include German Shepherds and Samoyeds. In clear terms, it serves all breeds and sizes, making it a must-buy. Moving on, it trims with well, refined cuts. Lastly, it charges in 5 hours.
4. INNOPAW Dog Nail Grinder Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
Do you need a dog-grooming device that your pup will feel comfortable with? If yes, this is the right grooming device for you. While using it for the first time, allow your dog to smell it first so it knows not to be scared. This device brings the uniqueness of dog adaptability. With the included pair of 1.5V AA dry batteries, you do not have to buy any batteries to power it. It is easy to use and operate. Guess what, you can use it for your dogs, cats, and birds.
This makes it the best all-round grinding device on this list. Coming to the three ports, Port 1 is for small pets, Port 2 is for medium pets, and Port 3 is for large ones; just choose the most suitable one for your pup. When it comes to the durability front, this product does not lag behind others. Also, it has an emery wheel, ABS case, and quality motor. With all this, there is no denying that it is useful.
5. Oster Gentle Paws Less Stress Dog and Cat Nail Grinder Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
If you need a portable, battery-powered cordless dog-grooming device, this is the right one for your pup. It comes with loads of accessories, such as coarse stone, fine band and 2-coarse bands. It is designed with safety taken into consideration because it has an opening for your pet’s nail size – thanks to the adjustable safety guard. From there, you can gently trim his nail. This premium product ensures that the task of trimming you’re his nail remains stress-free.
One thing is certain: Your dog will not be frightened by it because it is gentle on them. Also, it is a user-friendly tool because it is easy to operate and maintain. If your pup is very delicate, this is the most suitable dog nail grinder for him. With respect to the adjustable safety guard, you can be certain of getting a quick and mess-free job from this dog-grooming tool — thanks to the coarse stone, fine band, etc. With all these features and more, it is a must-try.
Disadvantages of Dog Nail Grinders
Here are some disadvantages you may encounter when giving it a shot:
- Cost: Let’s face it, the price of a nail grinder kit is twice, or even more than, that of a regular nail clipper. While this may not matter to some people, it can be a big challenge if you are on a budget. To be clear, you should be ready to spend more money if you wish to get your hands on this cutting-edge device.
- Noise: Although some devices are designed to be quieter, this cannot be said of all of them. The result is that some pups can be frightened when you use the noisy ones to trim their nails. When this happens, you risk having spent and wasted your hard-earned money for nothing.
- Speed: Admittedly, a good number of them have a relatively high speed. However, there are numerous complaints that they are not fast enough to work effectively on medium and large-sized dogs with their tougher nails.
- Mess: When you grind your pup’s nail, the process is often messy, producing odor and dust. As a result, many pet groomers would prefer to do it outside their apartment. Sure, this is one of the downsides of using this grooming tool.
Tips for Dog Nail Grinding
Here are some tips to keep in mind before grinding your doggie’s nails:
- Start early: To make sure your pup gets used to having his nails ground, make sure that you start doing it when he is still young. When you start early enough, he will get accustomed to it more easily.
- Make it gradual: Whenever you are using a pet nail grinder, it is advisable you do it gradually. By using it gradually, we mean you should cut small bits at one sitting. While you are at it, ensure that you do not squeeze his toe. More importantly, you should grind across the bottom, starting from the tip of the nail. Also ensure that you smoothen the rough edges of his nails.
- Grip to the top: Another thing you have to keep at the back of your mind is that you should always hold the grooming tool up high. Still, keep it toward the top to be sure you are in firm control of it. You should always have complete control.
- Keep him conformable: You sure want your pup to enjoy the experience, don’t you? If yes, you have to keep him in a comfortable position. While holding his toe, keep it in a position that separates one toe from the rest. Some dogs wish to sit in their paws while others would opt for bending backward. Find out the position that works for him.
- Pay attention to hair and fur: If you own a long-haired pup, ensure that his fur does not get caught by keeping him away from grooming device. You may consider using an old pair of pantyhose. You can put these over his paw and push the nail through. This way, his nail is available for trimming while his fur is securely held back.
- Grooming device heats up: One of the things you must always remember is that the electric/battery-powered grooming tool will get hot after using it for a while. Therefore, you should not hold it against his toes for more than 2 seconds. Apply and release the grooming device at intervals until the desired result is achieved. You do not need to be an expert groomer to know that if a hot device makes contact with your pet’s foot, it will not be good.
Frequently Asked Questions
At this point, we will discuss some of the frequently asked questions prospective users want answers to. You will definitely find them relevant and useful. Let’s go.
To be clear, there is no timeframe as dogs’ nails grow at different rates. For many dog groomers out there, the best bet is to settle for once every one or two months. We have to make it abundantly clear that there are no fixed rules. When he starts clicking on the floor whenever he walks, it is time to grind his nails. Alternatively, you may seek your vet’s advice.
If you are a newbie, you should not mistake it to be a nail clipper. One unique feature of these innovative grooming devices is that they have a built-in rotating mechanism powered by an electrical system. Hence, some of them come with batteries while others have a rechargeable system. To trim a dog’s nail, the rotating mechanism, which is usually a covered thick material, grinds his nails.
Yes, nail grinders are worth any amount spent on them because they are much better alternatives than clippers. Many groomers have admitted that they are much easier to use than the clippers. In addition to their ease of use, they are more efficient, are much safer and do not usually frighten your pup.
We cannot rule out the fact that some dogs will be nervous about this grooming device. In a similar vein, some of them are jittery when they hear its sound. Nonetheless, you can train your dog to start getting used to them. You make your task much easier when it is introduced when the dog is young.
In truth, new users may not find them so easy to use. However, they always come with an instructional guide that simplifies the do-it-yourself process. With most of them incorporating speed and ergonomic considerations, it makes the tool much easier for serious groomers to get used to in the blink of an eye.
Hurray, we have finally come to the conclusion of this super engaging article! Without mincing words, we hope the journey has been informative, which is typically what you would expect of our well-researched guides. Just before we go any farther, let’s briefly recap what we covered in this piece. We started with an introduction to why you should gift yourself this device.
Afterward, we moved on to the factors to look out for before selecting the right one for your pup. After that, we reviewed the 5 premium products to pick from, and then weighed in on the demerits of these grooming tools. From the tips to frequently asked questions (FAQ), we then arrived at the conclusion. We are here now!
All these are properly though-out measures we have put in place to ensure you get the key information you need before going for the right doggie-grooming tool. You will like the fact that we didn’t turn a blind eye to their failings. No doubt, sincerity matters to us. Now, it is time to select something from the products we have reviewed for you. We’ve made sure you have the choice of the best products reviewed in this guide.
Do not make the mistake of checking elsewhere because the doggies’ nail grinders in this guide give you all the benefits we identified earlier. Why leave it to some other time while you can buy one right now? Make your pup happy by placing your order immediately!