After a long day at work, you are back to your home sweet home. As expected, your dog is elated to see you. He jumps on you and tries to lick your face, but you are repelled by the foul smell coming from his mouth. What a beautiful welcome, but that stench is horrible! Even though many pet owners do not seem to care, the dental health of our puppy is vital. Did you know that dogs could suffer from gum and teeth disease? You probably did not. You see, when he develops a dental problem, it can lead to serious discomfort and other health issues in the same way that teeth discomfort makes humans miserable.
This is why we thought of exploring the best dental chews for dogs. With that, you will end the odor forever. After a week-long research and seeking of puppy owners’ opinions, we arrived at the top five products that your puppy will appreciate. Additionally, we read reviews, users’ experience, and how pets react to taste and flavors before making our selections. With this, you have the best read on this topic here! No need checking elsewhere. We are confident that whatever you choose, your pet will love it. More importantly, the days of being repelled by his offensive mouth odor are gone for good.
How Did We Pick the Best Dental Chews for Dogs?
We constantly strive to put the interests of our readers above everything else. To make sure we do just that, we use informative and well-crafted articles to simplify the confusing maze you must navigate when choosing products to meet your needs. In a concerted effort to help you get the best from the market, we create product reviews by holistically studying the market and analyzing real customers’ feedback. In the end, you can be sure of a sincere and useful verdict from our team.
If you find our articles useful — please feel free to share them with your family, friends, and colleagues. Follow us on our social media platforms to read the latest online product reviews as they drop.
Why It is Better?
- Why Your Dog Need Dental Chews
- How to Pick the Right Dental Treat for Dogs
- Top 5 Best Dental Chews for Dogs
- 1. Greenies Original Teenie Natural Dental Dog Treats
- 2. Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews
- 3. Pedigree DENTASTIX Fresh Treats for Toy/Small and Medium Dogs
- 4. Oravet Dental Hygiene Chews for Dogs
- 5. Purina DentaLife Small/Medium Adult Dog Treats
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Your Dog Need Dental Chews
Most of the time, dogs are licking, biting, nipping, chewing, and panting. These actions expose their mouth to bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms. Their foods also contains some of these microorganisms, which gives them an unhealthy smelly mouth. While these microorganisms do not cause any instant health issues, they feed on food debris particles in their mouth. The sad part is after a couple of weeks, it forms a thin layer of protective film that solidifies on their teeth, creating what is called tartar. Beneath this tartar, the germs create a toxic substance that deteriorates the teeth and gums further. This might cause periodontal disease.
If the owner does take action in time, the germs can gain entrance into the bloodstream, causing other serious health issues. As a result of this, it is essential to be serious about your puppy’s tooth health. The best point of action is to get a suitable product for your pet or regularly brush his teeth. Other advantages of the products are:
- Gets rid of oral germs: All the bacteria, viruses, and other germs that have packed themselves in their mouth are harmful to their health. Even their food contains bacteria. We need this product to eradicate these germs.
- Reduce dental disease: If you do not get rid of the germs from their mouth, they will cause the buildup of plaque and tartar. This spreads under the gums, leading to further tissue damage. This is another reason you need this product.
- Builds up their immune system: If you do not address these germs in time, they get into the blood, attacking the immune system. It also affects vital organs like the liver and kidneys. When you give your puppy these products, you get to eradicate all of these issues, including bad breath. Also, when they chew it, it triggers the release of saliva, which comes with antibacterial properties and controls the buildup of plaque. These healthy product help get rid of food particles, giving your doggie fresh breath.
How to Pick the Right Dental Treat for Dogs
Before exploring the various products we are recommending for your puppy, it is important that you understand the criteria that guided the choice of these products. With this, we will explain the main factors that guided our choice of the best dental chews for dogs like brands, flavors, and size.
- Brands: You should not just select any product that appeals to you. There are brands that have built their reputations over the years. Veterinarians and pet owners trust these brands due to the quality of their products. These are brands that you will not have any issue with. We made sure to review only top brands. Some of them are Oravet, Pedigree, Virbac, and Purina. They are top quality brands that you can trust.
- Safety: The product you are giving your pet should be safe in many ways. This means that it should not trigger allergies of any form. It should also not alter their digestive system or affect the normal functioning of their body. It should not make them throw up, either. All of our selections are safe for pets and their owners with few reports of such incidences.
- Ingredients: Before buying any dental chews for dogs, be sure that the ingredients are clearly spelled out. With this, you can detect ingredients that could trigger allergies in your puppy. Some pets, for instance, are sensitive to gluten. For these pets, you are better off only with gluten-free products. There are dogs with sensitive stomachs as well. Such puppies will be better off with only natural ingredients. An example of such is Greenies Original Teenie Natural Dental Dog Treats. You do not want a product with excessive preservatives and salt content because it can be harmful to some breeds.
- Size: Ideally, you want a product with different shapes and sizes. The idea is to get a particular size that will fit in your dog’s mouth. Dogs come in various sizes as well, which also determines their chewing habits. An aggressive one, for instance, will need a pretty durable product that will stay in their mouth for at least two minutes for it to work. Oravet Dental Hygiene Chews for Dogs are a good choice for aggressive chewers. When making your choice, make sure that the size suits the shape of their jaws and gums for an effective clean.
- Flavor: It is safe to say that this is the most important factor you need to consider. Some products come in assorted flavors like Pedigree DENTASTIX Fresh Treats for Toy/Small and Medium Dogs 5-40lbs. This gives you the chance to experiment with different flavors with the goal of finding one that your dog will love. The most common flavors are cheese, beef, bacon, and chicken. The idea is using your puppy’s favorite treat to decide which one you will get. Other products come in a single flavor as well.
- Durability: The idea behind durability is that the product should be strong enough for your dog. This means that they should chew it for at least a minute or two. If the durability is poor, it will be easy for your dog to bite off huge chunks of the product, which is not good.
- Cleaning power: The main idea behind getting them dental chew is to get rid of tartars and plaque. The end result of this is clean teeth with fresh breath. As a result, the product you are getting should do just what it says. This means that after a couple of days, there should be positive changes in your puppy’s dentition. In addition to clearing particles away from their mouth, it should likewise get rid of bacteria, germs, fungi, and other microorganisms that triggers the foul odor.
Top 5 Best Dental Chews for Dogs
1. Greenies Original Teenie Natural Dental Dog Treats Review
We Don’t Like
For everyone looking for tested ways to take care of their pet’s dental health, Greenies Original Teenie is a fantastic choice. In addition to giving your dog good oral health, it will also get rid of other health issues, preventing the spread of bacteria that might arise from rotten teeth. This product comes with all-natural ingredients, rich in vitamins and minerals that are essential to fight against dental disease. Greenies are hard, which is good for getting rid of plaque in the teeth but will not spoil your dog’s teeth.
Many users have reported reduced bad breath, better digestion, and overall good nutrition with Greenie’s Original Teenie. They are a rich source of fiber and antioxidants and the fat content is minimal. Hence, you have no cause for alarm. The antioxidants help improve his immune system. This product comes in various sizes and textures, which makes it applicable to various categories of dogs. It is recommended to give your dog one a day. They come in various sizes to suit dogs of various sizes.
2. Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews Review
We Don’t Like
This is another high-quality product to address bad breath and other oral health problems in your pet. It comes in various sizes to fit different types of dogs. It comes with a high level of protein to take care of the macronutrient needs of your pet. The taste is great, which will surely attract and interest your pup. The glucose oxidase content also helps to improve their digestive health. With this, your dog can fight infection as their antibodies are made stronger as well.
While the vitamins and mineral content are not too much, the protein and probiotic content will give you a healthy and happy pet. Small puppies will get 30 kilocalories from each oral chew. Medium-sized breeds will get 32 kilocalories while large-sized will get 54 kilocalories. It combines special beef hide alongside a natural antiseptic and abrasive texture, which helps get rid of tartar and controls the buildup of plaque.
3. Pedigree DENTASTIX Fresh Treats for Toy/Small and Medium Dogs Review
We Don’t Like
If you have an energetic puppy, this is the best chew to give them. Many pet owners have used them over the years. Today, they believe they are very effective. The 53k calorie content will make your pup energetic all day long. Pedigree Dentastix is one of the best dental treats for dogs guaranteed to give them fresh breath. It is flavored, so your dog will have fresh and attractive breath all day long. It is best for puppies and small breeds. It comes with an awesome flavor that your dog will not resist.
This is a top-quality dental chew that comes in a patented X shape. With this, you can get rid of tartar buildup and plaque from your puppy’s teeth. We love the variety of flavors. Your pet will surely find one that they will love. All the stubborn food particles hidden in their teeth or gums will disappear if you use this product. Part of the ingredients are turmeric and green tea extracts, which help to reduce inflammation.
4. Oravet Dental Hygiene Chews for Dogs Review
We Don’t Like
Oravet is one of the dog dental chews that produces an instant result in your pet. He will take a while to consume each piece, at least two minutes. This means that the product will have enough time to do a thorough cleaning and scrubbing. With this, you have perfect puppy breath, which you will be proud of. To every dog owner out there, Oravet has delivered a recommended formula for getting your puppy’s dental formula in good condition without constant brushing.
Each tasty chew contains delmopinol, which helps to get rid of plaque that might have attached itself to their teeth. Oraver was packaged with top quality ingredients that deliver quick results. With this, your pet will have a good dentition with fresh breath in a couple of days. When your dog chews it, it gets rid of plaque formation. With this, inflammation and bad breath are things of the past. Not only will your pet love this as a chew, but it is also a great treat for them.
5. Purina DentaLife Small/Medium Adult Dog Treats Review
We Don’t Like
For every pet owner in need of vet recommended dog chews, Purina Dentalife is a terrific choice. They come with eight ridges alongside air pockets, giving a porous and chewy texture. While your pet might consume this in under a minute, it does a terrific job of getting rid of stains and cleaning the grooves in your dog’s teeth. With the porous texture, there are thousands of air pockets that do a perfect job of cleaning the teeth. The eight ridges work on the gum line and take care of hard to reach teeth.
There are no artificial coloring or flavors in the ingredients. Hence, it will not trigger allergies in your dog. You can give them a treat, although they only need one per day. It can be part of your dog’s oral care. It fights bad breath and keeps the teeth clean. The varieties of taste and sizes make it suitable for you as you will surely find one that your pet will love. With all of these perks, this product deserves a place on this list.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our users might have a couple of questions in trying to find the right product for their pet. As a result, we will explore possible questions that will answer some potential concerns.
With these products, you can take control of your dog’s oral health throughout its life. While chewing these products, it activates the salivary glands. This helps to serve as a washing agent that gets rid of bad odor. The product also comes with certain ingredients that work against the germs and other microorganisms. This eradicates tartar and plaque.
Without a doubt, this is a good product that can form part of your pet’s oral care hygiene. The chewing process helps get rid of the buildup of tartar and plaque. Ideally, many brands advise daily use. In other words, give your pet one a day for optimal oral health.
All puppies get their first set of teeth around the third week after birth. Despite that, the teeth are not strong enough to handle the product. As long as your dog is seven weeks and above, they are fit to use the product. Some products like Pedigree DENTASTIX Fresh Treats, for instance, specify that puppies should be at least 5 pounds before using the product. Dental bones for dogs are not meant for small puppies as their teeth are not developed enough to handle them. It is a good idea to supervise puppies whenever you give them to avoid health hazards.
Dental chews are an important part of your pet’s dental hygiene. However, it cannot stand in the place of regular oral care like brushing your dog’s teeth. Even if you give them dental chews, make sure to have their teeth checked at least twice a year. With this product, you will reduce bad breath and other health issues that might arise from the buildup of germs in their teeth. It does not replace teeth cleaning.
These products are completely safe for puppies. However, be careful when giving them to your dog. For instance, make sure that you supervise them when giving them the product. This is to avoid choking and preventing your dog from eating it too quickly. You should also check the ingredients to ensure that there are no ingredient that will work against your pet.
How beautiful it will be to get rid of every stench from your dog? In this well-detailed guide, we have discussed everything you need to know. We put together this review after consulting various pet owners, carrying out hands-on tests, and going through users’ reviews. As a result, we are confident that you will find the content pretty helpful.
More importantly, your puppy will be happy and energetic as you get rid of all of the germs that might affect its optimum health and happiness. In fact, you do not have to spend time searching elsewhere because this guide contains everything you need. A try will definitely convince you. Place your order now!