Today, we are going to help you find the best dog ear cleaner to safeguard your dog against any potential infections, increase its hearing capability, and ultimately, dramatically improve its overall quality of life. Because our beloved canine companions are so adventurous and spirited, which is why we love them, we can often find them mixing with all sorts of grime and bacteria whether it is in the yard at home or while out on a walk.
This is why we have put together this ultimate guide to buying the right dog ear care product to ensure optimal canine ear health, bacteria build-up prevention, and long-term reduction in the frequency of vet visits. You do not need to look anywhere else. Read on to find out everything you should know for a lifetime of happy dog hearing and reduced owner stress.
How Did We Pick the Best Dog Ear Cleaners?
We constantly strive to put the interests of our readers above everything else. To make sure we do just that, we use informative and well-crafted articles to simplify the confusing maze you must navigate when choosing products to meet your needs. In a concerted effort to help you get the best from the market, we create product reviews by holistically studying the market and analyzing real customers’ feedback. In the end, you can be sure of a sincere and useful verdict from our team.
If you find our articles useful — please feel free to share them with your family, friends, and colleagues. Follow us on our social media platforms to read the latest online product reviews as they drop.
Why It is Better?
- Why Do You Need a Dog Ear Cleaner?
- How to Pick the Right Dog Ear Cleaner
- Top 5 Best Dog Ear Cleaners
- 1. Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleaner
- 2. Zymox Advanced Formula Otic Plus Enzymatic Ear Solution for Dogs and Cats
- 3. Vet’s Best Ear Relief Wash Cleaner for Dogs
- 4. John Paul Pet Ear and Eye Pet Wipes for Dogs and Cats, Infused with Aloe
- 5. Mister Ben’s Original Ear Tonic Aloe for Dogs
- How to Clean Dog Ears
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do You Need a Dog Ear Cleaner?
A good dog ear cleaning solution offers far more than general protection against bacteria build-up. It also offers enormous enhancements for your dog’s quality of life too. It is easy for dogs to pick up infections either orally or through other orifices like the ears. This can result in lots of related complications in the form of wax build-up, inflammation, infections, and in the worst cases, even deafness.
The pain that an issue like this causes and the impact that this has on everything from your dog’s mood to its general health can be enormous. This is why you need to make use of one of the best canine ear cleaners to combat germs and dirt from every angle. Some of the best products clean deep within the ear channel and ensure that everything from fungi to bacteria have no chance of developing.
Dog ear cleaners can help to reduce the likelihood of severe hearing problems and infections coming to fruition. And they can improve existing issues or complications dramatically. This means a happier and healthier day-to-day life for your dog.
How to Pick the Right Dog Ear Cleaner
When it comes to picking the right ear wash for dogs, there are several areas an owner needs to compare if they are going to determine whether or not the product they are considering is completely right for their furry friend. Here is a rundown of the key points you need to compare when shopping for a product in this category.
- Ingredients: It probably goes without saying that the ingredients are a vital area to consider, but specifically, you are looking to ensure that only human-grade, highly effective, and completely safe ingredients are used. Anything artificial is not only filler material, but it is also potentially dangerous and could cause more harm than good once it works its way into your dog’s ear canal. Additions like tea tree oil and witch hazel are usually reasonably good assurances that the manufacturer only wanted to use the best of the best. This is because they are highly effective for us too.
- Safety: For solid assurance of safety, even if you know very little about medical-grade ingredients, always look out for a badge that states that your chosen product is supported by veterinarians. If a vet supports it, this means that medical professionals would likely prescribe something similar for your dog’s needs. This is about as much reassurance as anyone is likely to need without having to go through the hassle of getting a prescription.
- Administration: Should you use liquid or wipes? Products in this category can come in a variety of different administration formats for ease of delivery. Not all dogs are the same, which is why supplements like this should cater to their varied personalities. If you cannot get your dog to sit still for long enough to apply droplets, then it might just be that wipes are the best route for you going forward.
- Additional features: Some of the most optimum dog ear wash varieties out there on the market do not just clean your dog’s ears. They are also great all-round products for safeguarding your canine’s health in general. Additional vitamins and minerals can dramatically boost everything from immune function to general organ health. You are likely to pay more, but if the additions help to improve general health and quality of life while providing ear protection, it is probably more than worth it.
- Is it non-stick? This one is as important for your dog as it is for you as an owner. Firstly, the last thing that is going to make any dog happy is a sticky coat. This can lead to irritation, itching, and even further infection risk. Secondly, as an owner, the last thing you want is a sticky solution all over your furniture and other belongings. Non-stick formulas are important for minimising any potential mess.
- Sensitivity: Your dog may have sensitive skin, and just like a human, this means that not all formulas are going to be suitable. Luckily, some of the products on the market have been formulated for use with dogs who have sensitive skin issues. Even if there are no underlying issues, particularly harsh formulas should not be applied regularly. This type of product could in turn diminish any potential benefit. If you have noticed any irritation or adverse reactions in the past to supplements, it would be a good idea to try something that has been optimised for sensitivity as your starting point to avoid potential complications. There are many options available.
- Brands: There are some highly reputable brands being used by thousands of happy dog owners across the planet at the moment. Although shopping for a brand name alone is not always a sensible idea, sometimes the quality assurance provided by a brand can be exactly what you need for reassurance that your dog really is getting the best. Here are some of the best names when it comes to ear cleaner for dogs: Ecoears, Vet’s Best, Doggie Dailies, Earth Bath, Project Paws, Vet Virtue, Pet King, and Virbac. Any product purchased from one of these manufacturers is sure to deliver the safety and efficiency you would expect from a leading, trusted brand name.
Top 5 Best Dog Ear Cleaners
1. Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleaner Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
If you are looking for a reasonably priced, low pH (meaning it will not interfere with other products) formula that reduces inflammation and wax build-up and offers bacterial protection, this is going to be one of the best on the market for you. The ingredients are completely natural, and integrated monosaccharides yield a soothing effect on the skin, thus lowering any existing inflammation and counteracting future build-ups. It is also a non-stick formula, meaning no unwanted stress for owners and dogs alike.
Because the formula is especially canine friendly, your dog should be totally comfortable with it after only a few initial administrations. Another benefit here is that if required, this product can be combined with other supplements thanks to its non-invasive formulation. The price is also completely reasonable, considering the high-quality ingredients. The only downside is that some other additional benefits would have been welcome even if they are unnecessary given the provided protection.
2. Zymox Advanced Formula Otic Plus Enzymatic Ear Solution for Dogs and Cats Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
This veterinarian-endorsed, all-encompassing ear protection formula is fantastic for any pet owner looking for premium grade protection. Thanks to the integrated and patented LP3 enzyme system, your dog will not only have protection from bacteria but also fungi and even several viruses. This means that your dog’s ear canals will be clean and its internal organs will be protected against many illnesses in the process.
This product has been used with great success by owners for particularly stubborn build-ups and existing infections, and it is likely to be highly effective in instances where other products may have failed. It is certainly not the cheapest item on the list, but the level of protection offered here and the included enzymes that gently break down unwanted elements inside the ear canal make this a really accessible formula that most dogs will have no issues with.
3. Vet’s Best Ear Relief Wash Cleaner for Dogs Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
Considering the price, it is hard to argue with this perhaps being the best ear cleaner for dogs for those with a tighter budget. In fact, it is one of the best options regardless of budget, given the highly effective ingredients. Everything featured here is entirely natural and human grade.
Included are items like witch hazel, chamomile, and clove oil plus many more naturally occurring healing products. If you used these items on a human they would be very effective, so they will definitely have a massive impact on your dog too.
This product gets to work immediately, and it has been formulated by vets, meaning that you can have total peace of mind when applying it. Although it is applied in droplet form, the non-invasive formula is not likely to agitate your dog whatsoever, making application easy. As a highly potent and cheap example of a great product within this category, this is a very tough item to beat.
4. John Paul Pet Ear and Eye Pet Wipes for Dogs and Cats, Infused with Aloe Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
This product massively breaks the mould by offering protection in not only one but two areas thanks to its unique formula, which means it can treat both ears and eyes. The main ingredient is sodium chloride, which has been proven to possess excellent cleansing and anti-bacterial properties. When applied to the outer ear or eye area, it will ensure that bacteria cannot build up and enter the bloodstream.
Aloe has also been included because it soothes the skin and helps to combat irritation and potential inflammation. What makes this a top option for anyone seeking the best ear cleaner for dogs is the fact that it was tested on humans before release. You can have a lot of peace of mind given the human testing here. This is easily one of the most accessible and affordable products on the market.
5. Mister Ben’s Original Ear Tonic Aloe for Dogs Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
This product really does pack an enormous punch when it comes to taking an all-encompassing approach to not only protecting your dog but also supporting dog owners too. We will start with the formula first, which is totally natural and contains fivefold support against almost every kind of threat your dog is ever likely to encounter relating to ear health. Whether it is ear mites or yeast, the potent formula can tackle them.
There is nothing abrasive or artificial in this product, and the ingredients are all human grade. For example, one of the main components is cold-pressed aloe. This means that repeat use will be completely fine and easy too because the soothing formula will not lead to any stress for your dog. There is even a free eBook offered with every purchase to assist owners, and a percentage of the sales go towards the Last Chance Animal Rescue. Is there a downside? There is some alcohol in the formula, meaning that if your pet has any open sores in its ear canal, this product may be too abrasive.
How to Clean Dog Ears
It is not going to be much use having the best dog ear cleaner if you are not sure how to use it! We are now going to break down exactly how to make use of one of these solutions. As soon as your product arrives, your dog can immediately benefit from it.
By following the above steps, you should have a successful administration every time you use one of these products.
Steps for dog ear cleaning:
- Ensure that your dog is seated and calm
- Gently place your hand on your dog’s head, and position it to the side
- Slowly drip (or gently wipe) the solution into the ear canal
- Massage the base of the ear to encourage the product to spread
- Encourage your dog to sit still for a small period of time to let the product settle
Frequently Asked Questions
In this section we are going to present and answer five of the most common questions most owners have about ear care products for dogs to provide you with some reassurances.
Always follow the guidelines on product packaging because dosage guidelines vary. As a general rule, dogs’ ears should be cleaned regularly (once or twice per month) to avoid any potential risk or build-up of infection.
Usually, a bad odor can be an indication of yeast or fungal build-up and necessitates the use of a cleaning product immediately. Any of the leading dog ear care cleaning solutions will help you to reduce this and to prevent any future build-ups.
Although the formulas change depending on who has manufactured them, a dog ear cleaning solution is designed to remove dirt, grime, fungi, and bacteria from your dog’s ear canals and protect it against infection. The ear cleaner achieves this via the addition of effective and usually all-natural ingredients.
This would not be safe because of the differences between human and dog skin. It is important that you only use products that have been optimised and formulated for use with dogs specifically. Otherwise, irritation, inflammation, and other issues may arise.
Realistically, they are both potentially equally good depending on the requirements of your dog. If you only need surface cleansing, then wipes work well. For deep cleansing of the ear canal, you will need to use liquid options instead.
Today, we set out to fully educate you about everything there is to know when it comes to dog ear care products. And now that you have reached the end of this article, hopefully you feel like we have achieved that goal. You have all of the right tools to make an educated and well-informed decision about which product is going to be the most effective and comfortable for your specific dog.
It can sometimes take a little trial and error because not all dogs are fond of all formulas, but any of the options featured in our top five list should pose very little stress for either you or your furry friend when it comes to repeat application. Start making use of dog ear solutions straight away to prevent illness, improve hearing, and generally enhance the quality of your dog’s life and yours in the process.