The best indoor dog kennels will allow your dog to stay safely contained indoors while you head out to the store or on an extended family trip without you having to worry about it. It’s also sometimes better to keep them safe in your home so that they’re not exposed to the elements outside.
After spending countless hours researching features, brands, and functionality we’re now able to provide you with all of the information you could ever need to find the best crate for your pet and your home that both you and your canine companion will love.
There’s no need to look anywhere else; we’ve got you covered from every angle. Simply read on to learn everything you will ever need to know for a future full of canine comfort and your peace of mind when you leave your furry friend alone for a little doggy downtime.
How Did We Pick the Best Indoor Dog Kennels?
We constantly strive to put the interests of our readers above everything else. To make sure we do just that, we use informative and well-crafted articles to simplify the confusing maze you must navigate when choosing products to meet your needs. In a concerted effort to help you get the best from the market, we create product reviews by holistically studying the market and analyzing real customers’ feedback. In the end, you can be sure of a sincere and useful verdict from our team.
If you find our articles useful — please feel free to share them with your family, friends, and colleagues. Follow us on our social media platforms to read the latest online product reviews as they drop.
Why It is Better?
- Why Do You Need an Indoor Dog Kennel?
- How to Pick the Right Indoor Dog Kennel
- Top 5 Best Indoor Dog Kennels
- 1. Petnation Port-A-Crate Indoor and Outdoor Home for Pets
- 2. EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate
- 3. Noz2Noz Soft-Krater Indoor and Outdoor Crate for Pets
- 4. MYPET North States Petyard Passage
- 5. PAWISE Portable Soft Dog Crate Folding Pet Kennel
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do You Need an Indoor Dog Kennel?
An indoor dog kennel is useful for a wide variety of reasons that make every aspect of your life as a dog owner easier while providing your canine companion with a secure and comfortable location to enjoy some alone time — without your personal belongings being put at risk in the process.
Some view kennels as being something that you only keep outdoors but once you’ve incorporated one into your dog’s daily routine inside the house you’ll wish you’d started reaping the rewards they offer sooner.
Firstly, we’ll focus on the home safety aspect. If you’re the type of owner who worries about leaving your dog on its own for extended periods of time because it’s likely to chew on furniture or rip wallpaper then relax because that’s precisely what the best dog crate options are here to counter.
You’ll be able to leave your dog alone for extended periods of time when you leave the house or head into the back yard to perform some gardening without worrying about any of your home decor or ornaments.
That’s just the start though. Through encouraging your furry friend to use a crate they’ll develop better behaviors, a calmer demeanor, and generally become more relaxed around the house. You’ll even have yourself a new coffee table too — if you opt to make use of a wooden dog crate.
On every level, they increase convenience for both owner and dog. They’re a great sanctuary when your dog feels anxious, a perfect place for weaning pups, a neat hideout during playtime, and an overall safe and comfortable home inside a home that your dog will grow to love and use every day.
How to Pick the Right Indoor Dog Kennel
Regardless of whether you’re shopping for an airline approved dog crate or a soft sided dog crate. It’s really important that you do your homework before making a purchase if you want to get your hands on the option that’s truly going to work best for you and your furry friend.
We’re now going to present you with the key things to compare if you’re performing some online shopping (or even shopping in person at your local store) to determine the best from the worst and find the most appropriate solution for you.
- What is your dogs temperament? This should be the question that serves as the foundation for all the comparisons mads when shopping for these products. You need to consider your canine’s behavior before you make a final decision on a product purchase because not all crates are suitable for all dogs. For instance, a metal cage is going to be perfect for dogs who love to chew as it’ll withstand their gnawing no matter how persistent they are. However, plastic or wooden variants won’t be up to the task and will suit dogs or pups who are milder in nature. Fabric options, on balance, provide maximum comfort and a respectable degree of durability. Give this area some serious thought before buying.
- What’s the size of kennel? The best indoor dog kennels provide a snug-fitting and comfortable environment for your dog that allows for a little freedom of movement at the same time — certainly enough to be able to stand, sit eat and drink without any stress. If you get the size wrong, then your canine companion is going to be seriously uncomfortable. Always check the manufacturer guidelines thoroughly before you make a final decision if you want the most positive experience for your best friend.
- Is it well ventilated? Whether it’s a large dog traveling crate or a maximum-security heavy duty dog crate. Without effective ventilation, it’ll be an incredibly dangerous environment to place your dog in for an extended period. Indoor kennels are no exception to this rule. Make sure that the housing of your intended option has plenty of wide gaps/spaces integrated into the walls and roof so that air can flow freely through the internal space and provide plentiful oxygen and temperature regulation.
- What’s the locking/closing mechanism like? No matter how robust the unit looks or how good the quality of the construction is. If the locking/closing mechanism doesn’t match then your large indoor dog kennel is going to be good for pretty much nothing other than as a place to store your magazines. Some of the most premium options feature heavy-duty locks or zips that provide maximum security. No matter what your preference is it’s important that your kennel has a tried, tested, and proven effective closing system on its door.
- Is it comfortable? Whilst you can certainly make large dog crates comfortable with the addition of some padding and bedding, in an ideal world, the actual product that you take out of the box would provide a snug and homely environment for your pup or adult dog straight out of the box. Look out for products that come with removable comfort mats so that your dog doesn’t have to lie on bare metal wiring if you’ve chosen a cage made from metal. Some options even come armed with inbuilt bedding or are constructed out of fabric for maximum relaxation.
- How easy is it to set up? If you need to have a degree in physics and engineering to be able to set any given kennel up and store it later, then it should go without saying that it’s probably not going to be the best option for you. Try to get something that’s easy to set up and then put away within a short time for maximum convenience. If you find it awkward to use then the chances are that you’ll simply stop using it all together after a matter of days — meaning you and your dog will miss out on the benefits you wanted in the first place.
- Extra features: Additional features like dog kennel covers, water bowls, extra doors, or even high-grade rubber feet come as standard on some of the most premium offerings on the market. As a result, you should dive deep when comparing products to make sure you don’t miss out on getting more value for less money. If there are some specific features that you’re looking for then it may be that you can get them included with the original purchase price without having to pay extra for them.
- Brands: Shopping for a product based on a highly reputable brand name can be a good way of providing you with the cast-iron assurance that you need to be able to part with your money knowing that it’s going on a worthwhile and quality item. Some of the manufacturers producing some of the best large indoor dog kennel models are: Petnation, Precision Pet, Elitefield, iCrate, MidWest, New World, Carlson, OxGord. Any product purchased from the above list of manufacturers will be sure to deliver the high level of satisfaction you require.
Top 5 Best Indoor Dog Kennels
We’re now going to present you with what we believe are the five best indoor dog kennels available anywhere on the market. This list has been compiled for those who don’t have the time to perform lengthy comparison-shopping searches, and instead want an easily accessible “click list” to choose from. Every item has been featured here because it’s particularly strong in a certain area while also being a great overall option that ticks pretty much every other box, too.
1. Petnation Port-A-Crate Indoor and Outdoor Home for Pets Review
Easy to fold
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
For those who want an option that ticks all of the boxes in terms of quality and practicality while offering many different size options and a really low price tag, this kennel from Port-A-Crate delivers in all of these areas in abundance. The all-fabric housing creates a comfortable hideout that allows for maximum relaxation, ensuring a total lack of stress when visiting new locations or during isolated periods at home. Thanks to the well-ventilated entrance flap, your canine companion will never overheat either.
The various sizes on offer mean that you’ll be able to find something that fits a dog of any size perfectly and the super-easy assembly makes it a breeze to set up within a few seconds. It’s also completely foldable for compact storage. The price is low, the quality and practicality are high, and generally speaking, it’s a super versatile all-round product that won’t let you or your dog down.
2. EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate Review
Easy to fold
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
For the fashion-conscious dog owner, there aren’t many indoor dog kennels that offer much in the way of style and color variety. Luckily this particular model offers a wide array of choices to ensure not only canine but also owner satisfaction. Not only are there plenty of style variations but the number of model sizes available also makes a dynamic product even more effective as it can cater to pretty much any breed or dog age you can think of.
The well-ventilated housing offers great temperature regulation and the wide, easy-access openings on the front and side of the kennel mean that ingress and egress are completely hassle-free. The internal space is also larger than many other crates — making for spacious comfort. Though the price tag is a little higher than that of some other products in this niche, the high level of comfort and design options on offer more than make up for it.
3. Noz2Noz Soft-Krater Indoor and Outdoor Crate for Pets Review
Easy to fold
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
It can be really difficult to find indoor dog kennels for large dogs amongst a market that predominantly seems to favor small to medium breeds. If you’re the owner of a larger breed then you’re in luck because the sizing options this product offers will suit any dog, of almost any size. The powder-coated steel frame offers a high level of durability for even the most excitable of canines and the high-quality fabric housing is resistant to most wear and tear situations making for a comfortable product that’ll last for years.
It’s incredibly practical and can be erected or stored away within a matter of seconds for maximum convenience. This means that it doesn’t have to take up any permanent space within your home when not in use. The roll-up, zip-based entrance is easy to understand for any dog and it can even be used as an effective travel crate too. Throw in the reasonable price and it’s a winning option.
4. MYPET North States Petyard Passage Review
Easy to fold
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
This product offers a slightly different approach to traditional crate designs, coming in the form of an enormous playpen constructed out of highly durable plastic to ensure that even the most energetic dogs won’t break free easily One of the unfortunate setbacks of using crate products is that they’re often quite claustrophobic, even when you find an option that closely matches the measurements of your dog. That’s where a product like this North States playpen stands out as a highly worthy alternative to the norm.
With easily accessible flap-based entry, a foldable design for easy storage, and a durable construction that means it can be used either indoors or outdoors. You’ve got everything you could ever need here to keep your dog safe — no matter where you happen to be. If you want to make the play area bigger, the manufacturers have even engineered it in such a way that it can be doubled in size with additional panels.
5. PAWISE Portable Soft Dog Crate Folding Pet Kennel Review
Easy to fold
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
Sometimes it’s all about going for something cheap and cheerful that’ll tick the boxes without breaking the bank. That’s precisely what you’re getting with this offering from Pawise as it’s easily one of the most competitively priced inside dog kennels available on the market — without sparing any functionality. The durable soft fabric housing makes for maximum comfort and the integrated mesh serves to regulate the internal temperature so that you never have to worry about your dog overheating during extended periods of isolation.
It’s incredibly easy to assemble and store away within seconds and the access door is nice and wide providing an excellent level of accessibility. Though there isn’t a wide array of sizing options the two available sizes are likely to meet the needs of most dog owners. There’s an integrated carry handle meaning it can be used for transportation too; which is useful. If we had any negatives to highlight, they’d mainly be that the construction quality isn’t as robust as some of the alternative options.
Frequently Asked Questions
In this section, we’re going to answer the five most frequently asked questions that people ask about indoor kennels before buying. We’ve given you the answers so that you have the total peace of mind you need to be able to choose a home-based crate that’ll meet every need of you and your dog successfully.
You might be able to, yes. Some indoor kennel options allow you to use them outside too — depending on their build quality and weather resistance. Always read the manufacturer’s specifications before purchasing total clarification on outdoor suitability.
No, unfortunately not. You’ll need to ensure that you select an indoor crate that properly matches the size of your dog if you want it to provide enough space and comfort. Otherwise, your canine companion may become cramped, uncomfortable, and claustrophobic.
This isn’t one “best” material as different ones all offer different benefits. For instance, fabric crates will provide the maximum comfort while metal cages are usually the most durable, and wood offers a really elegant looking piece of furniture along with the practicality of a crate. Try to choose the option that you feel is going to work best for you based on your specific needs and those of your furry friend.
Good quality indoor kennel options shouldn’t mark your floor at all. Solid units made out of wood or metal often come with rubber casters for protection whereas fabric units are soft, leading to little or no scratch damage occurring.
You should never leave your dog inside a crate for a period of longer than 8 hours.
After reading through today’s post, you should now have a full understanding of the many features to pay attention to when shopping for an effective indoor kennel that’ll meet your needs as an owner in conjunction with the comfort requirements of your dog.
No matter what you decide to use an indoor crate for, whether it’s a fun play area to keep your dog’s toys or a secure location to confine your furry friend when you need to go out, they’re an incredibly important daily element that’s vital to your dog’s supplementary product tool kit.
Choose any of the products in our top five list now for a lifetime of peace of mind whenever you leave the house. You can feel safe in the knowledge that your dog is safely and securely relaxing happily until you return home.