If you own a big dog, you are going to need one of the best large dog crates you can find. Then, you can have your pet contained every now and then especially when there is no one around to supervise him. Leaving a pet all alone without supervision can lead him to behave irrationally, which may cause him to be destructive.
Aside from that, there are a number of other reasons why you need one of these large dog crates for your big pooch, and we have taken the time to discuss all of that in the course of this article. We have put in quite a lot of work to research and bring you verified information on this matter in the hopes that this post will serve as your buying guide to help you find a kennel that is the most suitable for the benefit of you and your pet. We also selected and reviewed five of the best-selling cages on the market; feel free to choose any one of them.
How Did We Pick the Best Large Dog Crates?
We constantly strive to put the interests of our readers above everything else. To make sure we do just that, we use informative and well-crafted articles to simplify the confusing maze you must navigate when choosing products to meet your needs. In a concerted effort to help you get the best from the market, we create product reviews by holistically studying the market and analyzing real customers’ feedback. In the end, you can be sure of a sincere and useful verdict from our team.
If you find our articles useful — please feel free to share them with your family, friends, and colleagues. Follow us on our social media platforms to read the latest online product reviews as they drop.
Why It is Better?
- Why You Need a Huge Dog Crate
- How to Pick the Right Huge Dog Kennel
- Top 5 Best Large Dog Crates
- 1. MidWest Homes for Pets Dog Crate
- 2. AmazonBasics Single-Door & Double-Door Folding Metal Dog or Pet Crate
- 3. MidWest Life Stages LS-1648 Single Door Folding Crate
- 4. New World Folding Metal Dog Crate Single Door & Double Door Dog Crateso
- 5. BestPet Large Dog Crate
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why You Need a Huge Dog Crate
We believe that a dog should be allowed to enjoy the freedom of his immediate environment and not be caged away in some solitary confinement especially when he does not want that. However, there are times it is necessary to lock your pet in for his benefit and that of the household. Before we go into that, let us take the time to clarify our definition of large dog crates. We will refer to dogs that are 50 to 85 pounds as large dogs, and those over 85 pounds as extra large. Generally, pets that are over 50 pounds would be referred to as large.
- For the purpose of crate training: No matter how you look at it, crate training is one of the benefits of putting your pooch in a crate every now and then. There are different types of crate training, and which one you choose to go with will influence the type of kennel you will get for your pet. Whichever one you select, you will need to get one of these large dog crates. It also helps you house-train your pet faster than you would have without it. It establishes control, increases security, and prevents both outdoor and indoor accidents.
- To keep your pet in confinement: Quite a number of dogs are well trained and can manage themselves properly when left alone, but there are many others who do not fare so well in lonely situations. They may become destructive—biting every and anything, raiding the garbage and causing a mess, and knocking down and breaking items especially if he is a large dog. Getting the best dog crate that is most suitable for your pet can help you keep him from tearing your things apart when left alone. This may sound a little contradictory to a lot of pet lovers who believe that caging animals is inhumane, but when done properly, it will be very humane. Plus, it will help both the pet and the owner in a lot of ways.
- Serves as a place for your pet to relax: A lot of pet owners may not know that dogs love somewhat snug spaces where they can relax and enjoy privacy when they want to. This is a typical ancestral canine behavior that has stayed with them to this day, which is why most of them love small spaces like under the bed. This ancestral trait is one of the reasons a lot of people argue that crating a dog is not as harmful as we might first assume. To make the kennel comfortable enough for your dog to hang out in, make sure it is situated in a private and cool place with a soft bed or a fresh carpet for her to lay on. Using dog kennel covers and dog beds in the kennels is also ideal especially for owners who may not have enough living space to share with their pets.
- For convenient inclusion in family outings and trips: Have you always wished you could take your pet with you on a trip but could not because you cannot keep your eye on her all throughout the trip? Then, this is a problem you can solve by investing in an airline approved dog crate. You can also take her with you when on a road trip or going camping. You especially need this if your pup is easily excited and you must let her calm down for a short while so the excitement can wear off a bit.
- Protect guests from your dog’s outburst of energy: Some pets are quite exuberant around visitors, which may be a little discomforting to the visitors and embarrassing to you as the pet owner. More often than not, this outburst of energy has little or nothing to do with how well they are trained as even the best behaved dogs can mess things up for you and your guests. Putting your pet away in a crate while you are entertaining will help you avoid such a mess. There are still other reasons why you need a heavy duty dog crate especially if yours is a unique case. It is always important to consider these reasons when making your purchase.
How to Pick the Right Huge Dog Kennel
There are many kennels on the market, and you are free to waltz into any shop (online or offline) and place your order for an extra large dog crate. Importantly, you may not be doing you or your pet any good by doing that. From experience, we have come to know that not every product out there is good enough. In order to find one that is good enough, you need the due diligence of researching the products to make sure they are suitable for your pooch.
After long hours of research on our part and a lifetime of raising dogs on the part of renowned experts that we consulted in the course of this research, we discovered that the following factors influence the quality of crate you decide to get.
- Brands: Different brands make the very same product type in their own unique ways, so even though they all make huge dog kennels, their varying brand-related qualities make them different from other brands. The best brands are usually the ones that have been in business for quite a long time and are still doing well with great reviews from their customers. Also, other types of brands to check out are the popular ones that everyone is talking about. If there is so much excitement about a particular product, then the company must be doing something right and is worth checking out. Some of the brands we recommend include MidWest Homes for Pets, AmazonBasics, New World, and Best Pet.
- Size: Before you place an order for a large dog crate, you need to have a clear idea of what particular size of crate would be best for your canine. The right size should be able to let your dog stand, lie down, turn around, and enter and exit the cage without any difficulty. It must not be too small, or it might cause discomfort for your pet. If it is uncomfortable, she may not want to stay in it. It must not be too large, or it may lose that sense of snug and comfortable seclusion and may expose your pet to cold during cold weather. To get the right size of crate, measure your pet’s height and length without the tail. Then, select a kennel that is fifty percent higher than your pet’s height and twenty-five percent longer than its length.
- Material: Plastic and wooden dog crates are the most common types of crates out there. Each has their pros and cons related to their materials. A wooden material can protect your pet from extreme weather conditions during very hot summer days or very cold winter days. It is also biodegradable should you choose to get rid of it. Plastic materials are usually strong, high-quality, durable, come in various colors for you to choose from, and are easier to clean and maintain.
- Floor: The floor of the kennel should be strong enough to hold the weight of your big dog. This is very important. It should also have notable insulating properties to help maintain a healthy temperature for your pooch irrespective of the weather conditions. It will also help to get a kennel that is slightly elevated so that the base does not touch the ground, which can be quite helpful at times. When the base is slightly raised, your dog will not have to get her feet wet if there is a heavy downpour when the cage is outside.
- Roof: There are two different types of roof styles that are most suitable for a heavy duty dog crate. You may want to select according to the climate conditions of your local environment. Go for the type of roof that is inclined like an “A,” known as a gable roof, if you live in a location where it rains or snows frequently. The inclined type of roof will allow water to run off easily. If you live in a geographical location where you have to deal with a lot of dryness and heat, then a flat roof will be the best option for you.
- Portability: Portability will be a big deal for you if you intend to take your pet along with you while traveling. Investing in a portable soft sided dog crate will give your pet some form of confinement and security while you are away from home or while on the move. A portable kennel is lightweight and usually made out of some quality fabric covering a metal tube structure. It is foldable so that you can fold it up when it is not in use to save space and for easy transportation.
Top 5 Best Large Dog Crates
If you have read from the beginning of this post, you should be familiar with some of the most important factors that determine the quality and functionality of large dog crates. If you apply all that has been stated so far, you will find a product that you and your canine will enjoy for the longest time possible. Based on these factors, we have selected the five best highly recommended kennels on the market, and we have reviewed them accordingly.
1. MidWest Homes for Pets Dog Crate Review
For potty training
Easy to fold
We Don’t Like
The MidWest Homes for Pets company offers quite a range of crate collections suitable for pets of different sizes including giant-sized pets that weigh as much as 90 to 110 pounds. Compared to many other brands, this product provides an unparalleled space appropriate for really huge pets to relax in. It is little wonder that a lot of pet owners would categorize it as an XXL dog crate. It is made out of high-quality meshed metal material and looks like a typical crate, but there is a lot more to it than that. It comes with four rollers on the bottom, which serve two different roles.
First, the rollers make it a little easier to move the cage around. Second, the crate does not leave any ugly marks on the floor as you would typically expect of a heavy duty metal cage. With the heavy duty slide-bolt latches, you are sure your pet is securely protected in your large dog traveling crate, and with the plastic handles, it is a little more convenient to lift. Also, it has a very useful divider inside and a roomy door for clean-up and care. Something to watch out for is that sometimes the latch can open up and allow your dog to get out.
2. AmazonBasics Single-Door & Double-Door Folding Metal Dog or Pet Crate Review
For potty training
Easy to fold
We Don’t Like
With the AmazonBasics large outdoor dog kennel, you can easily go on a trip with your giant-sized pet without having to worry about their safety and containment. Setting it up does not take a lot of time or effort, and you can also dismantle it when you need to store it away or move it from one location to another. It is made out of metal and designed like a meshed crate with two doors for easy entry and exit for your pooch. It comes with two slide-bolt latches to securely lock your dog in the pen, preventing it from escaping.
This is one of the best huge dog crate models designed to effectively hold a weight capacity of even more than 90 to 110 pounds. There is also an optional divider that allows you to partition the cage as you wish. With the removable composite tray, you can easily clean out any mess at any time without having to turn the whole crate upside down.
3. MidWest Life Stages LS-1648 Single Door Folding Crate Review
For potty training
Easy to fold
We Don’t Like
The very first product on this review list is from MidWest Homes for Pets, but apparently, they have another type of crate that is especially popular. This particular design is similar to the first one in some ways. It is made with meshed metal material and looks like a typical crate. Other interesting features of this crate include storage convenience; you can fold it flat when it is not in use or when you need to move it from one place to the other.
You also get to choose from two different styles: the double- or single-door options. Both of these are great and can effectively hold your giant pooch inside securely with the help of the heavy duty bolt latches. At first glance, you may have the feeling that the meshed design may have sharp edges, but this is not the case with this product because it has patented round corners to prevent being scratched.
4. New World Folding Metal Dog Crate Single Door & Double Door Dog Crates Review
For potty training
Easy to fold
We Don’t Like
This is one of the best large dog crates on the market, and we highly recommend it. This is a great option for you if you are looking for something on the more affordable side. It has all the requirements expected of a huge crate and even more. Just like a typical crate, it is made of quality metal strips put together to form a mesh box. You get to choose from the single- or double-door style, both of which are great.
The locking system is a good one, and you can easily fold it away to make space when it is not in use or when you need to move it from one place to another. It does not come with a divider like most other brands on this list, but it comes with a leak-proof plastic pan that can be removed anytime you need to clean it out. This crate can conveniently handle pets that weigh as much as 90 to 110 pounds without being damaged, and it comes with a one-year warranty.
5. BestPet Large Dog Crate Review
For potty training
Easy to fold
We Don’t Like
Finally, we have this nice crate from Best Pet that is designed for large and giant-sized pets. Unlike other brands that have a range of sizes for pets of different sizes, the Best Pet crates come in just two big sizes meant specifically for pets that are on the larger side. The metal wires have a thick diameter, and there are two doors for easy entrance and exit.
There is also a quality detachable plastic tray included. It has an integrated lip around the perimeter to help keep the contents in place to avoid spilling. Setting this crate up takes little to no effort; there are no tools required. You can choose to set it up indoors or outdoors, and you can fold it away for easier transportation or just to make space. This crate makes it easier to take your pet along with you when traveling; you may also need some dog kennel covers especially if the weather is too cold. On the downside, this product may not be the best option for crate training or if you have an aggressive pet.
Frequently Asked Questions
So far, we hope you have enough information to help you make the best decision for you and your pet. That notwithstanding, we understand that you may have some questions about these products. Owing to this fact, we have selected some of the most frequently asked questions, and we have answered them in the best way possible based on the expert knowledge of a cross-section of dog trainers.
As a matter of fact, yes. Your pet’s age and breed affect what type of crate you get for her. If your pet is still young, it would be ideal to get a crate that comes with a divider to adjust the internal space accordingly to suit the size of your pet as she gets older. But if she is an older pet, you probably do not need a divider.
It really does not matter where you set up your pet’s crate because a lot of crates can serve as either outdoor or indoor dog kennels. The important thing is to make sure your pet is getting enough ventilation and is warm enough especially when the weather is cold. You can use special kennel covers to cover the crates to give your pet a little bit of insulation when it is cold.
If you want a durable dog crate for your pooch, the first thing you have to consider is the quality of the kennel. If the quality is high, then there is a likelihood that it will last for quite a long time. It may cost a little bit more to get a high-quality crate, but the sacrifice will be worth it in the long run.
Another feature that helps with the durability of the crate is the size you get. Make sure the crate is 50% higher and 25% longer than your pet’s size. If your pet is still growing, you can get a crate that comes with a divider; that way, you can adjust her living space accordingly as she grows into it.
The roof of the crate may not matter so much especially if you are going to keep your dog crate inside or live in a place where there are no extreme weather issues. If you are considering a wire mesh type of crate, you may need to get a kennel cover just to give your pooch a little bit of warmth when the weather is too cold and some level of privacy as well. A flat roof is usually ideal for warmer climates, while the A-inclined or gable roof serves well if you experience a lot of rain or snowfall.
Quite honestly, it is easier to clean and maintain a crate located indoors as opposed to one located outdoors. When it is outdoors, it is most likely to have insects living in it. It is also exposed to harsh weather conditions. The summary is that you will have to clean an outdoor crate more often.
Generally, you will need mild soapy water to clean the crate; you can use a soft brush for a more thorough cleaning. Make sure you rinse it out properly when you are done cleaning. If you have some accessories like blankets, pillows, and pads inside the crate, be sure to clean them out or wash them appropriately from time to time. Wash the fabrics in a washing machine and dry them properly.
This is the information we can share with you after long hours of research and consulting dog-training experts. We hope this will serve as an effective shopping guide for you as long as you apply the criteria mentioned above. Better still, you can choose from the list of products we selected and reviewed. Every product on our list comes highly recommended by pet owners and trainers; so, feel free to pick any of them.
Note that it is important to break your pooch into crate life gradually if she has never been crate trained before. It may take a while, but with all things being equal, she will adjust in no time and start enjoying her private space. Here is one tip to help you with that; do not send your pet to the crate as a punishment. She should not get the impression that a crate is meant for punishment.