Best Heavy Duty Dog Crate
If your dog has chewed up or pulled down his kennel, then you should get the best heavy duty dog crate to contain your furry friend and keep him safe. In fact, if you do not contain your powerful dog, the chances are that he may forcibly make his way out of his crate, destroy it, and get into trouble. Therefore, if you have a feeling that you may end up in such a dilemma, the best bet is to get a heavy duty kennel to prevent that from happening.
From the foregoing, you can see what needs to be done. However, the next step you will have to take is picking a premium-quality heavy duty crate from a market flooded with a countless number of them. Before you become a little discouraged about this process, you should know that we have carried out extensive research to help you get a high-quality heavy duty crate. One thing is sure; you will not need to read other articles on this topic because we have done all the legwork for you. Fasten your seatbelt because this journey will be encouraging and informative.
How Did We Pick the Best Heavy Duty Dog Crate?
We constantly strive to put the interests of our readers above everything else. To make sure we do just that, we use informative and well-crafted articles to simplify the confusing maze you must navigate when choosing products to meet your needs. In a concerted effort to help you get the best from the market, we create product reviews by holistically studying the market and analyzing real customers’ feedback. In the end, you can be sure of a sincere and useful verdict from our team.
If you find our articles useful — please feel free to share them with your family, friends, and colleagues. Follow us on our social media platforms to read the latest online product reviews as they drop.
Why It is Better?
- Why You Need a Heavy Duty Dog Crate
- How to Pick the Right Heavy Duty Dog Crate
- Top 5 Best Heavy Duty Dog Crates
- 1. Aspen Pet Porter Heavy-Duty Pet Kennel
- 2. Petmate Sky Kennel Pet Carrier
- 3. ProSelect Empire Dog Cage
- 4. Lucky Dog – Pet Resort Heavy Duty Dog Outdoor Playpen
- 5. SMONTER Heavy Duty Dog Crate
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why You Need a Heavy Duty Dog Crate
- Perhaps you did not know before now, but a heavy duty dog crate is a box-like home used for housing and transporting dogs. It is often spacious enough for them to relax and sleep in. Also known as a kennel, the heavy duty models are much stronger and resistant to being pulled down, opened by your dog, or otherwise broken. This is due to their durable construction and sturdy materials. With that said, we will walk you through why you need a heavy duty crate now.
- Security and safety: One of the reasons you should get this kennel is to protect your pup. A crate obviously keeps your dog out of trouble. There are other ways a crate can keep your dog safe and secure. Note that when you travel with luggage, you may put stress on the crate if you pile things beside it or on top of it. The crate does not only keep your pet inside, but it also ensures that your pup is not harmed irrespective of how you use the crate. It will shield your pet from bumps, knocks, and scrapes.
- Durability: Unlike the soft sided dog crate that a dog with sharp teeth can easily chew through and escape from, heavy duty models cannot be chewed through. The reasoning behind this is that the latter is often made of durable and sturdy steel, making it escape-proof. Put simply, you will not have to worry that you may come back home someday to meet an empty crate because your pup masterminded a jailbreak. A heavy duty model does not have weak spots for your dog to chew.
- Comfort: Additionally, you should buy this kennel because it serves as a home for your lovely pet. Indeed, the crate is built to provide enough room for relaxation and comfort. For instance, at the peak of winter, dogs will need some warmth just to overcome the coldness of the season. With dog kennel covers wrapped over the crate, you will keep coldness at bay.
- Easy to clean: One of the benefits of settling on this type of kennel is that it usually includes a removable floor tray. Well, the function of the removable floor tray is to catch dirt and food or stop accidents. With respect to ease of cleaning, you can easily clean the tray by removing it. Alternatively, you may use non-toxic cleaners to clean the tray while it is still in the crate.
- Breathability: Your pup must never have the feeling of suffocation whenever you crate him. Well, this is one of the perks of having the heavy duty type of crate. You see, they are often built with steel or wire materials that allow air to flow within the crate. With enough airflow within the kennel, it will not only be breathable, but also your furry friend will not have any cause to break out of it.
How to Pick the Right Heavy Duty Dog Crate
Now, let us dissect some key factors you must consider before picking the best dog crate. These factors played a vital role in rounding up the products that made the list.
- Size: You probably know that powerful dogs come in different sizes, right? Therefore, you should find out your dog’s actual measurements before opting for a particular heavy duty crate. Just before you make a pick, ensure that your furry friend has enough playroom by giving 2 to 4 inches allowance. Measure his height, width, and length while adding 2 to 4 inches to determine the actual crate size to go for.
- Portability: Whether you need large dog crates or small heavy duty models, you will either need the plastic or metal foldable type. We must point out, however, that some puppies are too powerful for plastic materials. If you have that kind of energetic dog, you should settle on the metal foldable models. Nevertheless, you should buy the plastic heavy duty crate if you consider your furry pal more relaxed.
- Durability: Whether considering wooden dog crates or steel dog crates, durability must mean something to you as far as heavy duty models are concerned. Moving on, kennels with thick steel, strong welds, and locks are ideal. These are some of the features you must never ignore. This is because they form an essential part of the durable crate. For crates that have wheels, ensure that the wheels are large and durable enough to withstand the weight of a wiggly dog and any other items.
- Brand: Just as you will consider the brand when you wish to purchase indoor dog kennels, the same applies to heavy duty models. You see, brand is essential because there are certain companies known for making high-quality products. When you purchase their products, you will find out that their crates have most of the factors we have discussed so far. These companies include Petmate, ProSelect, Smonter, Lucky Dog, etc.
- Ease of cleaning: Grated floors with a removable tray underneath are the easiest to clean. While a steel tray may be more durable, the plastic ones are much lighter, thus making the latter easier to carry. To clean the tray, all you need to do is to remove it and hose it down.
- Ventilation: If you need a large dog traveling crate because you often go on vacation, then your dog must be able to breathe in it. So, you should look for crates that have enough openings so that your pet does not breathe stale air. More importantly, there is a possibility that your pup will overheat if the crate is kept in a confined space on a warm day. No doubt, adequate airflow in the kennel is critical.
- Mobility: Does the kennel of your choice have a large door that allows your pet to enter and exit at will? The door should be spacious enough so that your pup does not get caught up in the frame or door in an effort to enter or leave. On the other hand, you should be able to open and close the door quickly and conveniently. It should also stay shut when you have closed it and not open again unaided.
- Locks: Opening locks is one of the 3 most common ways that pets escape their kennels. However, having an escape proof dog crate is very possible if you have sturdy locks and designs that prevent smart dogs from opening them. When a smart dog is determined to escape a kennel with regular locks and latches, she does not find it difficult. Escape is only possible if the kennel has a poor lock system.
- Resistance to rust: Given that a good number of heavy duty kennels are made of steel, it is logical that you must go for those that are made with rust-resistant steel. Indeed, such models always have a protective layer of paint that gives a necessary defense against rust or corrosion. When your crate has this protection, you will not have to worry about rust.
Top 5 Best Heavy Duty Dog Crates
1. Aspen Pet Porter Heavy-Duty Pet Kennel Review
Easy to assemble
We Don’t Like
Your desire for an airline approved dog crate is not unattainable as this product from Petmate fits that description. Aside from having a durable, heavy duty construction, this kennel ensures that your furry friend enjoys adequate airflow. The credit goes to its whole-side ventilation openings. Despite having a sturdy construction, you can clean it in a matter of minutes. Sure, cleaning it is as easy as ABC. This is no accident; it was designed to be this way.
This is a testament to the fact that it is easy to use. Still on the subject of ease of use, you do not need to be a craftsman to assemble it. No tools are required. Just follow its step-by-step guide to get it done. Although this model is a combination of gray and black, there are other color options out there. With the carrying handle, you can easily transport your pup from one place to another. With all these great features, it is highly recommended.
2. Petmate Sky Kennel Pet Carrier Review
Easy to assemble
We Don’t Like
In addition to being a heavy duty kennel, this product is also portable, which is evident from its comparatively small size. Moving on, it has a knob-like lock for easy locking and opening. It is worth mentioning that it has a 4-way vault door. With this, your pup’s security and safety are a guarantee. One of the things you will find fascinating about this product is that it ships with lots of extra features. These additional features include pet ID stickers and clip-on bowls.
If you need your furry friend to stay comfortable while you travel, you have the right pet carrier, thanks to the padded flooring that fits perfectly into the crate. When it comes to maintenance, it is easy to wash. In fact, you can transport it anywhere because it is portable. Feel free to make it your favorite crate because it has appealing features you never get to see in other products. In short, it is a must-buy dog crate.
3. ProSelect Empire Dog Cage Review
Easy to assemble
We Don’t Like
The ProSelect Empire Dog Cage is the perfect definition of durability. You will get value and durability from the money you spend on this crate. In the durability arena, it is only in competition with itself, thanks to its steel construction. To be sure that you can move it from one location to another, you can affix wheels to it. On the other hand, you will get a very stable kennel when you remove the wheels. With the floor grate and a tray, this heavy duty crate is one of the easiest to clean.
It has a hammer-tone finish that enables it to withstand any push, pull, or abuse. One assurance you get when you use this kennel is that your pet is never going to disappear because this crate is escape-proof. To ensure that your pup’s safety is not compromised, it has strong dual latches on its door. Truly, this is one of the strongest dog kennels on the market.
4. Lucky Dog – Pet Resort Heavy Duty Dog Outdoor Playpen Review
Easy to assemble
We Don’t Like
Here comes an indestructible dog crate you should consider. It is worth every dollar spent on it because it is heavy duty and durable. To let you in on what it has to offer, we will start with rust and corrosion resistance. You see, the entire crate is powder coated, making it resistant to rust and corrosion. Its steel bars are properly separated in a way that improves breathability, and it has a waterproof cover that ensures that negative weather does not affect your furry friend.
Indeed, you can be sure that your pup is not exposed to rain, snow, debris, sun, etc. In truth, you can give your pet this top-notch product from an industry-leading brand. Sure, you will enjoy it for a long time. The door swings open freely, allowing for easy entry and exit. The gate latch is firm, so your intelligent pup cannot open it. Moreover, its raised legs make it easy for you to remove waste from its floor.
5. SMONTER Heavy Duty Dog Crate Review
Easy to assemble
We Don’t Like
A review of the top heavy duty dog crates would be incomplete if it did not include this product. It has a front door that allows your pet to easily enter and exit. Although she can go in and leave whenever she wants to, the anti-escape lock ensures that she will not escape whenever you lock it. The rugged build of this crate makes it impossible for aggressive dogs to pull it down or tear its metal frame. Hence, it is an excellent crate for protecting your pet.
With its 360-degree rotating wheels, you can move it from one place to another. The good thing, however, is that you can also remove the 4 wheels to make it firmly stable. It has enough room for your pet to play and move around so that she does not get bored when you are not home. The well-spaced steel bars ensure that there is proper airflow and visibility. Beyond a shadow of doubt, this is one of the best heavy duty dog crates money can buy. Try it yourself!
Frequently Asked Questions
Next, let us answer some of the frequently asked questions about heavy duty dog crates.
Dogs are typically powerful animals, so they break out of crates due to boredom, fear, or strong dislike of confinement. To accomplish that, they chew, scratch, or push the weakest part of the crate. When they make their way out of the confinement, they can become very aggressive, destroying things around the home or harming anyone in sight. Worse still, you may never see them again if you were not home when they broke out of an outdoor kennel.
You can adopt a number of strategies to prevent your pet from breaking out of the kennel. One of them is taking him through crate training as opposed to using the kennel as a form of punishment. In addition, you should help your dog adjust to the crate by feeding him when he is inside. You can use a heavy duty kennel to prevent him from breaking out and running away from home.
Yes, you can keep a pup that is struggling with separation anxiety in a heavy duty dog kennel. Nevertheless, you must be extremely careful while doing it. Exercise her to make her tired so that she can lie down whenever you wish to crate her. More importantly, you should spend ample time training her – much longer than you would if she had been a non-anxious dog.
Ideally, you should not leave your dog in a crate beyond 8 hours. It is always advisable to keep an eye on your pup whenever you leave him in a kennel. Importantly, you should never lead your dog to think that kennels are used for punishment.
From the list we compiled for you, we strongly believe that the #1 product on our list is the best for you. We determined that its features set it apart as the game changer. However, we realize that you know your dog best and are entitled to your own choices. One thing is sure though; we have reviewed the most sought-after heavy duty dog crates on the market for you. All you have to do is to select from the list above. You may want to pick other products on the list if you do not consider price a limitation. In that case, the #3 and #5 products would not be a bad idea.
In all, the most crucial consideration is what you really need in your ideal kennel. Just before making that pick, read the pros, cons, features, and product description. Additionally, find out what each of the products is best for. The takeaway is that what each is best for represents its selling point or greatest strength. So far, you have learned that leaving your energetic dog without a crate can do more harm than good.
One assurance you will get from us is that your pup will not be able to break out of the crates we reviewed in this guide. However, you need to play your role by crate training him or her. In the end, you will be glad that you ordered a heavy duty kennel from this carefully compiled list. You do not have to wait any longer. Just go on and place your order now! Congratulations in advance!