While dog kennels keep and transport your pet from one place to another, you’ll need one of the best dog kennel covers wrapped around the kennel to keep your furry friend safe. Also known as dog crates, kennels play a vital role in keeping your pup calm whenever and wherever you are. You will need to cover the crate so that your pet can have a sense of security, comfort, and privacy. When you do this, you can be sure of having a happier and healthier dog.
Given the importance of kennel covers when moving your canine friend around, you may want to get one for him. In truth, you will not find it that easy because it is pretty difficult spotting the differences between the quality products and the inferior ones. However, you do not have to worry anymore, because this informative guide will walk you through the most suitable crate covers for you. By the end of this article, you will be able to make a pick without needing to read other articles on this subject.
How Did We Pick the Best Dog Kennel Covers?
We constantly strive to put the interests of our readers above everything else. To make sure we do just that, we use informative and well-crafted articles to simplify the confusing maze you must navigate when choosing products to meet your needs. In a concerted effort to help you get the best from the market, we create product reviews by holistically studying the market and analyzing real customers’ feedback. In the end, you can be sure of a sincere and useful verdict from our team.
If you find our articles useful — please feel free to share them with your family, friends, and colleagues. Follow us on our social media platforms to read the latest online product reviews as they drop.
Why It is Better?
- Why Do You Need a Cover for Crates?
- How to Pick the Right Dog Kennel Cover
- Top 5 Best Dog Kennel Covers
- 1. MidWest Dog Crate Cover
- 2. HiCaptain Double Door Dog Crate Cover
- 3. Explore Land Dog Crate Cover Durable
- 4. Molly Mutt Dog Crate Cover
- 5. Honest Outfitters Dog Crate Cover
- DIY Dog Crate Covers
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do You Need a Cover for Crates?
Well, a dog crate cover is simply a piece of material that perfectly fits over your dog crate to enable your pup to enjoy certain benefits. It should sturdy, durable, and breathable. At different points in time, you may need to cover the kennel for many different reasons. Now, let’s find out why you may need to keep your crate covered.
- Privacy: Does your pup need some privacy? The answer is almost certainly, yes. Your furry friend will always need some sleep and has to feel safe while having a nap. Therefore, the onus is on you to create an environment that is conducive for that nap by covering his kennel. When you do so, you will find out that your pet can enjoy some sleep without any anxiety or agitation.
- Comfort: Another reason you need a kennel cover is to ensure that your pet is comfortable while in the kennel. Just like people on a shuttle, they always need to feel comfortable while being driven from one place to another. Indeed, your pup has to be comfortable whenever you guys are in transit. You can only properly achieve that when that crate is covered.
- Temperature control: Even if you have the best dog crate ever, you will not be able to control its internal temperature because wind and sunlight will always make their way into it. Imagine moving your pup in chilly winter weather or during the heat of summertime – that could make your pet fall sick. However, you can prevent that with the aid of a simple kennel cover.
- Calmness: When you travel with your pet in a crate, the chances are that a lot of things will keep distracting him. Sometimes, he may see certain things that make him bark, thus attracting unwelcome attention to you. Nevertheless, that is not the case with a crate cover because the material will limit his view, thus helping him remain calm throughout the journey. Before long, your furry friend will start napping.
- Behavior control: Have you noticed that sometimes your dog keeps staring at you when you eat just to signify that he is hungry? Well, your pup is no different from thousands, if not millions, of other dogs that exhibit that same behavior. By using a dog cage cover to wrap around his crate, you will be able to limit such undesirable behavior. Once detected, we strongly advise that you find out why your furry friend is exhibiting such behaviors so that covering his kennel does not seem like a form of punishment.
How to Pick the Right Dog Kennel Cover
You have now learned some of the reasons why you should gift your pup one of the best dog kennel covers. Well, before you buy that all-important dog accessory, you have to pay attention to certain factors. In fact, these factors are so critical that they influenced the choices that we included on our list.
- Adjustability: Any talk around the suitability of any cover should be about adjustability because the best crate covers cannot guarantee you a perfect fit. Therefore, you need a little bit of wiggle room in the design. With a cover that is partially open, you can decide how open you want to the cover to be at any point in time. Hence, you should go for one that is adjustable.
- Machine washable: Have you considered the stress you will be putting yourself through when you handwash a kennel cover? The truth is, it can be very tough washing it with bare hands, soap and water. Conversely, you can wash it more regularly if it is machine-washable. This makes the task of keeping it clean extremely easy.
- Durability: Even if you have an airline approved dog crate, you will need a good kennel cover to make it look decent while you make your way to the airport. In the quest to get the right cover, durability should always mean something to you. Indeed, you need a durable and sturdy cover so it can withstand rough environmental conditions, such as strong winds or heavy rain. You should also keep in mind that dogs will scratch and chew the covers.
- Ventilation: So far, we have discussed the reasons for getting your furry one a cover, and suffocating him was not on the list. To avoid such an ugly incident, ensure that you opt for covers that allow your pet to breathe. There are covers that have windows and sides, allowing your furry buddy to breathe without difficulty. You should opt for this type so that you do not suffocate your pet in transit.
- Brand: Whether you want a cover for your heavy duty dog crate or any other type of crate, the brand should matter to you. The reasoning behind this is that a good brand may have all the topnotch features you desire in your ideal kennel cover. The good thing is that we have done extensive research to find out the best among the rest. Examples of good brands are MidWest Homes for Pets, HiCaptain, Explore Land, Molly Mutt, Honest Outfitters, etc.
- Weatherproofing: One of the reasons you are getting your furry one covered is to shield him from adverse weather conditions. In keeping with this, the right crate cover should perform that function. Be it wind or rain, it should be able to protect your pet. With the assurance that your puppy is safe in the crate, you can go ahead and use it outdoors.
- Insulation: Having a weatherproof kennel cover is a great idea. However, you can make your puppy feel better if you go for the type that is insulated. When it is insulated, it means that the material is capable of creating a warm and conducive environment for your furry friend, especially in cold weather. Some of them are specially meant for this purpose.
Top 5 Best Dog Kennel Covers
1. MidWest Dog Crate Cover Review
We Don’t Like
You need a kennel cover that keeps your pet secure whether the flaps are open or not, don’t you? If you do, you do not have to search any further because this product is just what you need. When you use it to wrap around a soft sided dog crate, you can be sure that your furry friend will be protected from bites from blood-sucking insects. We must not fail to mention the loop, Velcro, and hood, which ensure that it remains pest-proof. What’s more, it creates a cozy, den-like home for him.
With polyester material, you can be certain you have a durable kennel cover. Its den-like atmosphere will also limit undesirable behavior like barking and limit other distractions. More importantly, it is machine-washable, making it easy to maintain. With its stain-repellent fabric, you have a crate cover that you do not have to spend too much time washing. Indeed, your furry pal will neither be difficult to manage nor struggle to sleep – thanks to this premium kennel cover.
2. HiCaptain Double Door Dog Crate Cover Review
We Don’t Like
If you want a weatherproof crate cover for your large dog crates or any other kennel for that matter, you can always use this superb product to do that. It is made of heavy-duty 600d polyester material that enables it to control the kennel temperature. The material is sun-resistant, waterproof, and windproof. This means that no matter the weather, you do not have to worry about your sleeping pup, knowing well that he is safe. As for ease of use, this cover does not lag behind others because you can use it without worries.
For instance, you do not need any tools to wrap it around your crate. You can easily do that from its open-bottom design. The same goes for maintenance as it takes no effort to clean it because it is machine-washable. If you want to travel with your crate, you will have no problems whatsoever. Its breathable mesh window ensures that air circulates all the time. With all these fascinating features, it is a must-have.
3. Explore Land Dog Crate Cover Durable Review
We Don’t Like
Do you need a crate cover that promotes breathability around indoor dog kennel? If you do, then search no more because this product fits that description. Indeed, its 600D polyester oxford and mesh window make that possible. Just to ensure that you do not have to struggle zipping up or unzipping your crate, this cover has a top zipper that’s pretty fast. When you wrap this cover around your kennel, you will create a den-like environment that helps your furry friend to relax and sleep.
Your pet will become less agitated, distracted, and chew and bark less. If you care about colors, you have a product that offers you 3 different color options: light tan, black and gray. You do not have to worry that it could be blown away because it has 5 toggles on the bottom that clip to your kennel. Perhaps these insulated dog crate covers catch your fancy. If they do, your search for them ends here because this cover serves that purpose.
4. Molly Mutt Dog Crate Cover Review
We Don’t Like
Perhaps you need a cover for your large dog traveling crate? Then your search ends here. To be clear, this cover is meant for large crates, but it can also be used for medium-sized ones. That said, one astonishing feature of this cover is that it is very attractive, letting the user enjoy all the attention. In other words, if you are a stylish pup groomer, this is the perfect cover for your crate. Given its unique design, you can use it to step up the internal décor of your bedroom.
In truth, this product gives you real value for your money because it is machine-washable. As a machine-washable cover, you can wash it in no time, just as you would expect from a premium kennel cover, it creates a den-like space for your furry friend, thus allowing him to get some quality rest. On the durability front, this cover does not lag behind the others because it is made of high-quality cotton.
5. Honest Outfitters Dog Crate Cover Review
We Don’t Like
For all groomers who need durable kennel covers for their wooden dog crates or any other kennels for that matter, we recommend this high-quality cover. This is because it features a tried-and-tested 600D polyester oxford fabric. Put simply, you do not have to worry that your pup will tear it because it is sturdy and durable. If you need a waterproof and windproof material, do not look any further because this material can serve those purposes.
When it comes to breathability, this crate cover does not lag behind others because it is also breathable – thanks to the mesh window. Not to mention that the door plays its role too. The same goes for ease of use because it has features that make it fun to use. For instance, this kennel cover has 2 covered pockets for storing handy items. Finally, yet importantly, there are 4 pasted toggles on the bottom, making it very easy for you to fix the cover.
DIY Dog Crate Covers
So far, we have spent some useful time reviewing some commercial kennel covers, which are unarguably some good-buys. However, you may decide to jump on our do-it-yourself (DIY) wagon to learn an alternative you can use to wrap your kennel. Are you surprised? Don’t be! Now, let’s unwrap this package together.
- Step 1: Get a blanket: This entails chucking your good old blanket over your crate to get the same experience as the commercial alternatives. Admittedly, it may not look as nice as the purpose-made pet crate covers we reviewed earlier, but that blanket will serve the same purpose. Just before you try your hand at this, keep in mind that you run the risk of seeing your furry friend rip it apart before your very eyes. Nevertheless, if your pet is well trained and needs some quiet time, a blanket may just be all he needs.
- Step 2: Cut it to fit: The next step is to cut the fabric to make your cover panels. We strongly advise that you do that with a sturdy material just to be sure that it will serve its purpose. Ensure that the panels match the sides of the kennel you want them to cover and attach them to the crate. You may use a Velcro strap or zipper to perfect the opening and closing.
- Step 3: Try it: Just before you try, make sure that you have machine-sewn it if you know how. If you have good sewing skills, you can include all the mind-blowing features (such as windows, designs, pockets, etc.) you wish to see in your ideal crate cover. What’s more, ensure that the cover is fitted so it looks as good as possible. Lastly, make sure that the seams are firmly sewn because pets always like to rip kennel covers apart.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions you will be itching to know the answers to.
Whether you will cover your crate at night or not depends on your dog’s traits. If your pup can get a good sleep without the dog kennel cover, then you do not really need to use it. As you are aware, puppies will often be distracted in the daytime, making it very difficult for them to get some rest at night. However, some groomers still cover their pets at night because doing so makes them sleep better.
Yes, it will make him warm. The good thing is that many kennel covers are designed to keep your pup warm in winter (as well as in cold environments). More importantly, you need a kennel cover if you travel in winter, as it will keep him warm all through the journey. This is possible because most of them are made of insulating materials.
Over the years, dog trainers have agreed that dog kennel covers help to calm dogs. The reason is that these covers create a den-like environment that helps your little pet to relax. In addition to helping him relax, your pup feels safe because any anxiety is minimized. With all these positive vibes around your pup, he will be calm in his crate.
While you may opt for hand washing or machine washing, washing a crate cover is very easy because most of them are machine-washable. All you have to do is to separate them before washing them. Nevertheless, ensure that you follow the instructions on the product before washing to avoid any possible damage. If your crate cover has a PVC coating, you should not hand wash it.
Introducing your pup to a covered crate should be a slow and gradual process, so you do not scare him. You have to let your furry friend get used to the smell and feel of the dog kennel cover by letting him walk in and out of his covered kennel unaided. As your pet gets used to the crate, keep on increasing the amount of time he spends in the covered crate. After a while, you will notice that he will willingly walk into the covered crate.
In this informative review, you have learned the critical roles that dog crate covers play in dogs’ lives. At this point, we must all agree that your pup needs such a cover when you travel or for other reasons we discussed earlier. We also dissected the factors to look out for in an ideal crate cover. It didn’t end there as we walked you through the premium covers on the market and how you can quickly make your own covers for your kennel.
Much as we do not encourage that, the homemade covers may allow you to ditch the commercial options. Just before we got to this conclusion, we answered some of the frequently asked questions about the products. Now, we have arrived at the end of the guide.
Just before we wrap it up, you should know that the kennel covers can also serve as a dog cage cover. However, we firmly advise that you measure your cage before placing an order for a cover. With that being said, you do not have to go looking for these covers elsewhere because this well-researched review contains everything you need to make a great pick!
Once again, this guide is an outcome of exhaustive research, which enabled us to sum up the best products on the market. With all the benefits of kennel covers, you should gift your furry friend one from the list above. You see, if your pet is calm and happy, that will rub off on you. You deserve some peace and quiet whenever you move around with your furry friend. So, why procrastinate? Place your order now!