Now is the time to help you find the best bark collar for small dogs so that you can finally get some much needed relief from unwanted barking. There are many reasons why dogs decide to bark. It’s their primary way of “talking” (it’s one of their only ways!) but it can also be used as a mechanism to draw attention or try to dominate situations unnecessarily.
It’s these unnecessary situations that we need to avoid, and that’s precisely why these devices were invented to train your canine into better behaviour and reduce your headaches in the process. Sometimes though, it can be hard to find one that’s “just right” if you’re the owner of a small breed. We’ve performed countless hours of research and looked at every small dog stop collar available on the market to enlighten you about everything you could ever need to know to make an effective purchase. Read on for a future free of unnecessary barking.
How Did We Pick the Best Bark Collar for Small Dogs?
We constantly strive to put the interests of our readers above everything else. To make sure we do just that, we use informative and well-crafted articles to simplify the confusing maze you must navigate when choosing products to meet your needs. In a concerted effort to help you get the best from the market, we create product reviews by holistically studying the market and analyzing real customers’ feedback. In the end, you can be sure of a sincere and useful verdict from our team.
If you find our articles useful — please feel free to share them with your family, friends, and colleagues. Follow us on our social media platforms to read the latest online product reviews as they drop.
Why It is Better?
- Why Your Small Dog Needs a Bark Collar
- How to Pick the Right Bark Collar for Smaller Dogs
- Top 5 Best Bark Collars for Small Dogs
- 1. Elecane Small Dog Bark Collar Rechargeable
- 2. NPS No Shock Bark Collar for Small to Large Dogs
- 3. DogRook Rechargeable Dog Bark Collar
- 4. GoodBoy Small Rechargeable Dog Bark Collar for Tiny to Medium Dogs
- 5. K9 Training Made Easy Bark Collar for Small Dog
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Your Small Dog Needs a Bark Collar
The first part of the barking equation you need to understand is that sometimes, your furry little friend is trying to tell you something meaningful that requires your intervention. This isn’t negative or unnecessary barking if that’s the case. Sometimes, however, it’s playing up and trying to draw unnecessary attention or dominate. This is the precise point at which the acquisition of a collar to educate your canine companion about when it’s okay, and not okay to use barking will prove very fruitful.
You can choose to start with something like spray or ultrasonic technology to ensure that there’s zero pain element involved in the training process, and if required, progressively move onto intense vibration and shock technology. Optimal bark collars for small dogs can be particularly difficult to find because smaller breeds don’t require the same levels of intensity as larger and heavier breeds do. Strong shock collars, for instance, would simply prove too powerful for their little bodies.
This means that you need to be highly selective when buying and ideally go for something that relies on low-impact technology like spraying or low-end vibration in the first instance, as these disruptions can often be more than enough to lead to your dog associating unnecessary barking with negativity. Provided you get the right collar, this is going to lead to the total eradication of barking in unnecessary and unwanted circumstances. This means no more embarrassment, no more disruption, and a happier, more stress-free existence for you as an owner. You’ll also have a highly obedient, more malleable dog to boot.
How to Pick the Right Bark Collar for Smaller Dogs
In this section, we’re going to highlight the areas you need to compare when shopping for the most effective stop collar for your small dog. It’s important to understand that small dog stop bark collars carry a specific series of criteria compared to chain dog collars or LED dog collars. You might have purchased other collar varieties in the past but the set of ideals here are very different. All final decisions should be based solely on the individuality of your dog, and your particular requirements, circumstances, or tastes and beliefs.
- Durability: Durability is particularly important if your dog happens to be super energetic or chewy. If this is the case, the build quality of your chosen option needs to withstand excess wear and tear over a sustained period of time. Look out for not only robust housing, but also robust straps as well for a long-lasting product.
- Size: It probably goes without saying, but checking the size before making a purchase is critically important. Ensure that the strap will adjust to a small enough circumference to snugly fit around the neck of your dog. The last thing you want is your new collar to disappear after slipping off! Select carefully as wide dog collars can prove to be a real nightmare due to slippage. The right model will be narrow enough to sit in place snugly without moving.
- Sound or vibration-activated: Collars of this variety are triggered by sound or vibration. When your dog barks, it either vibrates intensely or releases a sound, so this probably stands to reason. However, you should consider your dog’s circumstances and behaviour before making a purchase. Some breeds are incredibly energetic, therefore they might trigger a vibration collar simply by playing. Others may encounter other barking dogs regularly, meaning that they’ll be punished for no reason. Think about which one would be most appropriate based on your dog’s daily life.
- Battery type: Check on the battery type for your small dog bark collar before buying as this will help to determine what the long-term costs are likely to be. Rechargeable batteries are ideal because they mean that you won’t have to constantly replace disposable batteries, which can become very costly.
- Waterproof: Is your preferred collar waterproof? This is an important area to consider if your canine companion spends a lot of time in the great outdoors. Products that don’t have a high waterproof rating are going to be susceptible to rapid wear and tear, meaning that they’ll need to be replaced frequently.
- How does it operate? Some of the most popular varieties for smaller breeds are sound, vibration, or spray activated collars as they don’t lead to any pain and they’re low intensity. Make sure that your intended collar aligns well with your dog’s size and your own values (some people are very against shock, for example).
- Weight: There are two elements involved when it comes to weight and collars. The first is the weight of the collar itself, as typically speaking it has been shown that products weighing roughly 5 oz. tend to be optimal for smaller breeds. The second element is the weight of your dog. Some collars have a starting weight of 22 lbs. or more, so they may not be suitable for smaller breeds. Check the product details intricately before buying to gauge compatibility.
- Brands: A reputable brand can be a great way to ensure that you’re buying a quality product that is being used to great success by thousands of people across the world. Below are some of the best manufacturers currently producing anti bark collars for small dogs right now: POP VIEW, Dogtra, SportDOG ,Modus, PetSafe, PetYeah, DogRook, and Elecane. Though it’s always important to shop based on individual circumstances and behaviour patterns, any item purchased from the above list of collar producers will almost definitely meet your satisfaction requirements very effectively.
Top 5 Best Bark Collars for Small Dogs
After pouring through all of the available bark collars for small dogs endlessly online, we’ve managed to compile a list of what we feel are the five best options currently available on the market. We’ve done this to ensure that you don’t have to waste hours searching through products and making tiring comparisons. Just select one of the below options and you’ll have a future free of unnecessary barking.
1. Elecane Small Dog Bark Collar Rechargeable Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
This is the best bark collar for small dogs on our list for a number of reasons. Part of this is because of the cool interchangeable faceplates that’ll allow you to style out your small dog or pup while training them on better barking etiquette! Featuring adjustable sensitivity and a totally waterproof housing, you can use this collar effectively anywhere at any time. It’s compact design can even combine well with inflatable dog collars or calming dog collars for seamless, wholesome efficiency.
The all new chip on this model means that there aren’t going to be any false triggers and the vibration technology means no pain whatsoever for your furry friend. This makes for a totally humane option. The only real downside here is the fact that the strap is a little small compared to the vibrator unit housing, so there might be a little unwanted digging. Other than that, the features are great and the price is low, making this a great value option.
2. NPS No Shock Bark Collar for Small to Large Dogs Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
Amongst bark collars for small dogs, this is truly one of the market leading options due to it lasting for pretty much the entire lifespan of your dog provided you take good care of it. Why? The starting compatibility weight is a mere 6 lbs., meaning that the smallest of breeds or puppies can make use of it. The maximum weight, however, is 120 lbs. This means that at any stage of your dog’s life, you can make effective use of one of these awesome stop bark collars to improve barking habits.
The robust build quality and water resistant housing also mean that it isn’t likely to struggle with wear and tear. An inbuilt processor can automatically detect barking and apply stimulus accordingly, going from intensity level 1 to 7 depending on how your dog reacts. The unit looks quite robust, but it is very lightweight and comfortable, making for optimum practicality.
3. DogRook Rechargeable Dog Bark Collar Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
This is an incredible bark collar for small dogs for those who want the ultimate in battery life. Charged in a mere 1-2 hours, this market leading option lasts for a maximum of 20 days. That’s at least a week longer than the majority of offerings from competitors. On top of this enormous battery life are some additional added parts that will ensure that you can establish the best and most comfortable fit for your dog straight out of the box.
This vibrating dog collar is also multi-function and can be operated using two different modes (one being sound). This gives the owner the opportunity to apply the stimulus that they feel the most comfortable with. The strap is fully adjustable, meaning that you can likely keep this collar throughout the majority of your dog’s life. If there are any negatives to speak of, then we’d simply say that the design perhaps looks a little cheap and isn’t particularly robust.
4. GoodBoy Small Rechargeable Dog Bark Collar for Tiny to Medium Dogs Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
If you want a product that delivers maximum comfort with a sleek and compact design while still offering maximum effectiveness when it comes to stopping barking, you’re onto a total winner with this option from GoodBoy. The compact unit design is smaller than any other available and the upgraded 2019 microchip means it’s also one of the smartest. No unnecessary stimulus will be applied and your dog will progressively learn to cease barking unnecessarily.
Fully rechargeable with a respectable active life span and featuring a quirky design that’s likely to appeal to the eyes of most dogs and owners alike, your small dog will certainly be one of the coolest in the neighbourhood with this around its neck. The solid plastic design and lack of any spiky prongs, meaning that the product will sit more comfortably in place compared to internally spiked dog collars while the waterproof housing means that outdoor use is no issue whatsoever.
5. K9 Training Made Easy Bark Collar for Small Dog Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
Developed over countless hours with the input of K9 dog trainers, this compact and humane collar is easily one of the best dog training collars on the market for reducing unwanted barking. Featuring two modes of use (sound and vibration), you can apply the stimulus that you feel the most comfortable with and that your dog responds best to. All the while, the rounded, small housing means that your dog isn’t going to be uncomfortable while wearing it.
With seven levels of intensity, this means that only the minimum level of sound or vibration is ever going to be needed to train your dog out of bad barking habits. Start low, and if the intensity doesn’t achieve the desired result, you can then progressively increase it. Easily the most important and best addition here is the satisfaction guarantee that means you can return the product if you don’t feel that it’s working effectively or safely. That’s a huge standout amongst a market that doesn’t typically offer such incredible service.
Frequently Asked Questions
In this section, we’re going to highlight and answer some of the most typically asked questions that prospective anti-bark collar owners have before making a purchase. We’re going to deliver the most effective answers for you so that you can achieve total peace of mind before making a final product selection.
It’s completely safe to use a stop bark collar with small breeds provided that you only ever use the right level of intensity to achieve corrective behaviour and no more. It’s also important not to overuse these products. They should only be put on to educate your dog during periods where unwanted barking arises, but not outside of these windows.
Absolutely, yes. When we say small dog, we aren’t simply referring to smaller breeds like Chihuahuas or Dachshunds. These small dog products are also perfectly suitable for puppies as well and offer the perfect training solution for them.
Shock collars haven’t in any way been proven to be more effective than vibration, sound, or spray-based collar technologies. In fact, smaller breeds have been shown to respond more effectively to non shock-based devices when compared to larger breeds. There is simply no need to introduce shock where it isn’t necessary.
The main reason for using training collars like this is to educate your dog on what good and bad barking behaviours are. Even though barking is a normal part of your dog’s vocabulary, it can also at times be misused. Provided you only make use of anti bark collars during periods where unnecessary barking occurs, then you can appropriately train a small dog using stop bark technology in the same way as you would a larger breed.
Unfortunately not. This can be for a number of reasons including some options being too powerful for lighter weight dogs and other options requiring a minimum weight limit that exceeds small breeds and puppies. Always read the manufacturer specifications before buying to avoid disappointment or returns.
After reading through today’s post, you have now been imbued with every small piece of information required to make a fully educated decision about which anti-bark collar is going to be maximally effective for your furry little friend. Some view corrective technology like this as being inhumane, but hopefully now that you’ve had the chance to fully absorb what these collars are and how they operate. You should no longer feel like they’re a nasty way to train your dog out of bad barking habits.
All of the options we’ve provided you with today are incredibly safe, maximally effective, and are already being used to great success by thousands of people all over the world. This means that you can trust in their ability to humanely deliver the results you’re looking for with your canine, too. Snap up one of our five best options now and start paving the way to a quieter, less embarrassing and stress-free life that isn’t governed by unwanted barking every few minutes. It’s time for peace at last!