Best Calming Collar for Dogs
Today’s goal is to help you find the best calming collar for dogs. We’re going to give you a full rundown of what these products are, how they work, and what the best options currently available on the market are to make the decision making process super easy.
There are hundreds of options available in this product category, which is why we’ve taken endless hours to search through every last option so that we can tell you exactly what the key features you need to look out for are and how to choose the best of the best. Ready to help your canine companion achieve a stress and anxiety-free life full of happy memories? You don’t need to look anywhere else. We’ve got everything you need to know right here.
How Did We Pick the Best Calming Collar for Dogs?
We constantly strive to put the interests of our readers above everything else. To make sure we do just that, we use informative and well-crafted articles to simplify the confusing maze you must navigate when choosing products to meet your needs. In a concerted effort to help you get the best from the market, we create product reviews by holistically studying the market and analyzing real customers’ feedback. In the end, you can be sure of a sincere and useful verdict from our team.
If you find our articles useful — please feel free to share them with your family, friends, and colleagues. Follow us on our social media platforms to read the latest online product reviews as they drop.
Why It is Better?
- Why You Need a Calming Collar for Dogs
- How to Pick the Right Calming Dog Collar
- Top 5 Best Calming Collars for Dogs
- 1. Sentry Calming Collar for Dogs
- 2. Adaptil Calm On-The-Go-Collar for Dogs
- 3. Fedciory Calming Pheromone Collar for Dogs
- 4. Relaxivet Calming Collar for Dogs with Appeasing Effect
- 5. NurtureCALM 24/7 Pheromone Collar for Dogs
- Types of Calming Dog Collars
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why You Need a Calming Collar for Dogs
There are many situations that can lead to a dog getting stressed. It can be a noise, seeing something they don’t like, a stressful scenario, a lack of decent rest, and even some or all of the above. This is why it’s so crucial to help them achieve a state of as near constant calm and peace as possible so that they can enjoy their time with us and we can enjoy our time creating happy memories with them.
This is where a calming collar presents the perfect solution for any dog owner who wants to achieve those end results. Featuring either pheromones, herbs, or oils, or some combination of all of them, these collars provide an excellent “always on” means of keeping your dog as happy as possible. When placed around your dog’s neck, the natural body heat emitted by your canine companion leads to the integrated combination of substances being released into the air and subsequently absorbed via the nostrils.
The included ingredients have been optimised to have a calming effect and soothe your dog for the reduction of stress and anxiety to instil a constant state of calm and happiness. Whether your dog has recently been through a stressful situation, or they’re struggling to relax amidst new noises, surroundings, or people. A collar like this can help to settle their nerves and stop them from barking as well as reducing any disruption to their normal behaviour patterns. This makes for a better quality of life for the dog and owner alike!
How to Pick the Right Calming Dog Collar
In this section, we’re going to walk you through how to choose an effective calming collar for dogs that’ll make an enormous real world difference for you and your furry friend. Make sure that you compare all of these key areas before you make a purchase as this will avoid any potential disappointment while also ensuring maximum efficiency and benefit.
- What ingredients does the collar contain? The best collars feature an array of highly beneficial natural ingredients. These ingredients can be pheromones, natural oils, or herbs. Regardless of the foundation your product is based on, it’s important that nothing contained in the collar is harmful. Make sure that there aren’t any nasty artificial chemicals or added unnatural elements that could lead to any potential harm or discomfort for your dog.
- Is the collar going to be comfortable? There are a few elements that go into creating the most comfortable collar possible, but two points that constantly come up are the size and material of your intended option. If the size is too big or small, it simply won’t stay in place and will lead to discomfort, which defeats the purpose. The material used is also important, because if it’s too rigid or hard, then this too is going to lead to discomfort. The collar should sit snugly and comfortably at all times. Observing both wide dog collars and smaller alternatives will ensure that you find the right fit as there is an option for every breed.
- How long are the effects going to last? Every manufacturer creates collars with a slightly different “wear life,” but on average, every collar should last for 30 days after which it’ll need to be replaced. Though this active life can differ from product to product, you ideally shouldn’t settle for anything with less than a month’s usability.
- Price: Though price is clearly going to be a factor regardless of any choice you might opt for, but it’s especially important here because you’re buying a consumable item that requires frequent replacement. This means that if you’re shelling out $60 at a time, you’re going to have a lot of expenditure on your hands over the course of a year. Always go for something that’ll achieve your desired results without costing you the earth in the process.
- Style: You’ve got a lot of choice on your hands when it comes to searching for calming collars for dogs, and there’s something to suit the tastes of every dog and owner. As long as your preferred style doesn’t come at the cost of diminished quality, then it’s worth taking the time to find something that brings your dog’s personality to life. There are more style varieties in this niche when compared to chain dog collars or spiked dog collars, for example. This makes for a more interesting and fun buying experience for you and your dog.
- Brands: Choosing the right brand is a critical part of the buying process for some people because it offers maximum peace of mind thanks to an existing user base of thousands and the quality assurance that comes with that. Though they are by no means all of the brands offering products in this category, the following list comprises some of the best out there: Calm Paws, Relaxivet, NurtureCALM, Sergeant’s, Adaptil, Sentry, Fedciory, and ThunderEase. The above brands produce products that have been engineered for maximum comfort and effectiveness.
- Veterinary supported: Though it isn’t necessarily the be all and end all, some products are directly supported by veterinarians, meaning that you’ve got 100% assurance that the ingredients included are completely safe. It’s worth looking out for this important accreditation and safety hallmark.
Top 5 Best Calming Collars for Dogs
We’re now going to list the five best options available on the market to make your decision making process as easy as possible. Though owners are widely resorting to items like a bark collar for small dogs or a vibrating dog collar to achieve discipline for their puppies and adult dogs alike, this isn’t always necessary. Using one of the five options below should hopefully alleviate the need to move onto this forceful technology.
While they certainly aren’t the only dog calming collar options out there, they’re almost definitely going to satisfy the needs of pretty much every dog and owner successfully.
1. Sentry Calming Collar for Dogs Review
We Don’t Like
As a fairly bulletproof all-around product with highly effective inbuilt pheromones, this is absolutely one of the best out there for giving your dog the happiest and easiest life it can possibly get. Featuring a very robust design that’ll withstand everything from chewing to outdoor elements, the included pheromones are maximally calming, safe, and features a non-invasive lavender scent that wont impact on your daily life a great deal as is the case with some other products.
It lasts for 30 days, it’s good for dogs and puppies alike, and it’s being used to great success by thousands of existing happy customers everywhere. There’s not much to argue with here. The compact design can even combine well with inflatable dog collars post-surgery. The standalone unit is expensive when compared to the value pack of three, so you’d probably be better off making a long-term investment with the three pack to cover a full quarter as opposed to just buying one at a time.
2. Adaptil Calm On-The-Go-Collar for Dogs Review
We Don’t Like
Boasting a simple design that’s full of completely natural ingredients, this option from Adaptil is one of the best for those who are conscious of introducing anything unnatural to their canine companion and who want to avoid using stop bark collars. Further inspiring confidence in the safety of this product is the fact that it has much sought-after vet approval. This means that what’s included here has been deemed to be both effective and safe by animal medical professionals.
It’ll last for four weeks, which is what you’d expect as a minimum standard for any product in this category. It has a highly accessible and easy to use design, and it’s black, meaning that it’s likely to blend seamlessly with pretty much any breed type regardless of their coat color. The variety of sizes on offer also means that regardless of the size of your pet, you’re going to be able to provide them with stress and anxiety relief. This makes a welcome change from manufacturers with restrictive “one size” sizing options that sometimes aren’t quite optimal.
3. Fedciory Calming Pheromone Collar for Dogs Review
We Don’t Like
Anyone looking for the most accessible calming collar for dogs needs to look no further than this product from Fedciory. With a one size fits all design, a cheap price tag, and an excellent guarantee to boot, peace of mind definitely won’t be an issue. Of course, one size and a cheap price tag don’t mean anything if the design isn’t maximally effective. Luckily though, the included pheromones are clinically proven to have a soothing effect on your dog for a 30-day period.
The highly adjustable and flexible design means that no matter what your chosen dog breed or size is, you can make the collar work effectively for it with minimal stress in the process. It’s easy to pick up and put on straight out of the box. The included guarantee states that if you aren’t happy, then you can return the product hassle-free, too. All in all, this makes for an easygoing design that’ll leave owners and dogs with zero stress alike.
4. Relaxivet Calming Collar for Dogs with Appeasing Effect Review
We Don’t Like
For those who have larger dog breeds and struggle to find the best dog calming collars to fit their furry friend, this excellent option to fit dogs with up to a 26-inch neck will ensure that even the biggest of canines can be comfortably accommodated for. With all-natural ingredients featuring a base combination of lavender and chamomile, your dog is going to start relaxing within an hour of the collar being placed around its neck. The soft and durable build quality also makes for maximum comfort.
Engineered in Germany and in line with top engineering standards, this collar has been built to withstand any potential chewing and damage it may encounter over a 30-day period. Whether your dog is going through a house move or suffering from discomfort, this collar will make all the difference. The color is a striking purple, making it a slightly quirkier and more “fun” design than many others on offer. The only real down side is that it’s quite thin, so it may lead to slight discomfort from potential friction.
5. NurtureCALM 24/7 Pheromone Collar for Dogs Review
We Don’t Like
Though all products within this category are fully adjustable, the unique locking mechanism featured on this design means that it’ll stay in place without any cause for concern. The unique fit and stay clasp can’t be found on any other collar, making this a great choice for the security conscious. You’re going to get all of the other benefits you’d expect including an array of completely natural ingredients and a generous neck size allowance of up to 23 inches for larger breeds, too. But it’s the enhanced security thanks to the specialist locking mechanism that makes this option a standout.
The material used is soft yet durable, meaning it’ll be comfortable for your furry friend to wear but without being easy to destroy or wear through should your dog go outside. The color is also neutral, meaning that it’ll seamlessly weave into the coat of most breed types. The downside is that there aren’t any style or color alternatives. But if you want something that’ll work safely and offer an added layer of extra security versus other products, then this is absolutely the right one for you.
Types of Calming Dog Collars
Though all of the information we’ve provided you with so far gives you a pretty robust idea about what’s available out there as well as what a good collar looks like and constitutes of, there are also other varieties available within the calming collar niche that offer unique benefits. We’ll now make you aware of what they are just so that you know what’s out there in case you or your dog have some special requirements that aren’t met by the above options.
- Unfragranced collars: Sometimes, the additional fragrance on a product of this variety can serve as an irritant for dogs and owners alike. In these instances, it would prove beneficial to source a fragrance-free option that features no odour. This will avoid any human or canine discomfort.
- Fragranced collars: The smell of the underlying ingredients included as part of the best calming collars can sometimes be fairly offensive to the human nose, especially if you already use fragrances around the home. If this is the case, it only makes sense to source something that’s either unfragranced, or has a fragrance that more closely matches the ambience you’re already trying to create around your house. There are options out there that have been engineered for this purpose.
- Collars with inbuilt recovery properties: Some collars come with enhanced properties that allow for faster and more efficient healing after medical procedures or injuries. Considering one of the most popular reasons for implementing calming collars in the first place is to soothe an animal after an event like this, something with these combined effects is highly desirable for some dog owners.
Frequently Asked Questions
In this section, we’re going to answer five of the most common questions that people have before purchasing a calming collar for their dog along with the most effective answers to them. This should help to alleviate any reservations you may have before making a final purchase decision.
Most of the best calming collars are going to last for a period of 30 days. It’s not often that you’ll find anything that delivers any effect beyond this point, and provided the ingredients included are natural, then it’s to be expected that their potency will naturally wear off at around this time.
Typically, you will not need to clean a calming collar whatsoever. They’re designed to be disposable items that are replaced every 30 days. If you absolutely have to clean one, however, then it is best to just use water and wipe gently so as not to disturb the inbuilt ingredients.
It may be safe to use calming spray and treats alongside a dog collar, but only if this won’t lead to any harm through combining ingredients. Make sure that you check for product compatibility before use, and if it is safe, combining products may lead to an enhanced calming effect.
Some of the most common signs of stress in a dog include but are not limited to: yawning; barking; whining or howling; trembling and/or shaking; random panting; loss of appetite. These signs and more can be a fairly good indicator of high stress levels, and should they manifest, it may prove beneficial to purchase a calming collar as opposed to other, more forceful dog training collars.
Calming collars contain inbuilt ingredients that naturally lead to relaxation for canines. This can be achieved via everything from soothing herb and oil-based combinations to maternal pheromones. These ingredients are released via a dog’s natural body temperature rising and are then absorbed or inhaled, following which their calming effect takes hold.
No matter what the reasons are behind your dog displaying signs of stress and discomfort, it’s safe to say that you don’t want it to suffer any longer. Through purchasing a calming product like a collar, chew, or spray, you can effectively counteract symptoms of stress and anxiety and massively improve your dog’s quality of life in the process. However, collars are proven to be chief amongst these items for several reasons.
Not only do they contain a very high concentration of clinically-proven ingredients, but they’re also working constantly to deliver their desired effect. This means that once it’s around their neck, you can walk away secure in the knowledge that your dog is going to start feeling better within an hour.
You can even combine these accessible items with other products like LED dog collars for enhanced safety and practicality, creating total peace of mind for you as an owner. So what are you waiting for? Buy a calming collar now and watch your dog finally start to experience some much-needed sighs of relief.